How long do no-kill rescue shelters generally take to hand over a dog?

In the future I'd like to get a dog from a rescue center, but in comparison to buying a puppy from a litter it takes quite a bit of time, and it usually puts me off getting a rescue when I have to wait such a long time and I have to go through so many…

In the future I'd like to get a dog from a rescue center, but in comparison to buying a puppy from a litter it takes quite a bit of time, and it usually puts me off getting a rescue when I have to wait such a long time and I have to go through so many…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How long do no-kill rescue shelters generally take to hand over a dog?...

• How long do no-kill rescue shelters generally take to hand over a dog?

How long do no-kill rescue shelters generally take to hand over a dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      In the future I'd like to get a dog from a rescue center, but in comparison to buying a puppy from a litter it takes quite a bit of time, and it usually puts me off getting a rescue when I have to wait such a long time and I have to go through so many snooty, nose-turned-up rescue workers who don't think anyone deserves a dog (my parents were planning to adopt a collie but they gave up when the people working there were so rude). Has anyone been through the process of adopting a dog, and if so how long did it take?Whoever commented on the likelihood of us not being capable of owning a dog; my parents didn't even get as far as the rescue workers making a judgement of us - my parents went to meet the dog for the first time and decided never to go back to the place when they came home because of how rude they were. I've met quite a few rescue workers at local dog shows and some seem nice enough people, but I still wouldn't like to be constantly aware someone was going to be judging how good I was with animals and doing a load of home visits for a long time, say over a month. I just want to know how long I would have to put up with being the unwanted guest at a dog shelter before I'd get to fully own it, take it home and be able to treat my dog as family instead of as business.My mum used to work at a rescue center, before she tried to adopt a puppy, and she now owns a dog walking and pet care business, would never harm any dog, and has enough money to own one and take it to the vets etc, so to most people she sounds like she'd be a perfect match to get a rescued dog, so I hardly think the rescue workers were being rude for much of a reason.We also live on a farm which only has one road nearby, which is very quiet. Our garden is also fenced in and we have a field right outside our back garden.

How long do no-kill rescue shelters generally take to hand over a dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I rescued a greyhound from www.sheffieldretiredgreyhounds.co.uk It took about a week from first phoning them. They didn't do a home check, just asked if I had a fenced garden! I told them I wanted a female and they chose one and brought her to my home. They are really friendly too! If you consider a greyhound phone them and if your not close to sheffield they will find a centre near you :)

• I've found that the people who start insulting rescue volunteers for being snooty do so because they failed to qualify for a dog. I had my rescue dog in my home within a month of applying. I had my shelter dog the day after turning in the application. However, it's not irregular for applicants to wait months before a dog comes in that matches their lifestyle. A dog is something you are spending the years with. If you can't wait a few months for a proper match, then you aren't a home we would adopt to. People in a rush tend to make rash decisions and the dog bounces back or ends up in a bad situation. Want a quicker adoption process? Offer to adopt an older dog, even if it has health problems. Of course, this assumes that you qualify for *any* dog. Calling me snotty and nose turned up for wanting my foster dog to go to the right home is incredibly immature and an absolute sign that you shouldn't have a dog.

• I cannot speak specifically for the rescue, but if you saw some of the applications we get from wholely unsuitable people, you'd understand why it is such a process. When we take on a dog from a bad situation, it can take more than a month of hard work to get the dog back to a state where they are even ready for a new home - the neglect we see, and complete ignorance of some people is jaw-dropping. The application process may seem ridiculous, but when we get things that say they want to 'adopt a boy and a girl so they can breed them...", or after collecting glowing reports from references who turn out never to have been to the house, only to have our home visitors find no fence, on a bad curve in a road - and then hear from a youngster that they are replacing the last dog that got hit by a car...well, you get the picture. Any reputable breeder from whom you actually WANT a dog would ask the same questions. Wherever you go, you want the source to be on your side, and at your side if you should need help later on. A reputable breeder or a reputable rescue will do that, and be there for the dog should you not be able to keep him some day. I would only hope that would be worth the wait. There is no excuse for rudeness, but if it is only a delay that you have actually experienced, perhaps you coudl call them or drop them a note and let them know you are anxiously awaiting their call, and hope they have a dog for you, you might get an answer. Just remember they are volunteers, and doing this in addition to their jobs and other lives- I doubt they are hanging back just to be rude, and sometimes communication can clear up a misunderstanding. I hope some lucky dog finds you in good time.

• Purchasing from a reputable breeder can take months-years.Yes, it can take a few weeks for the adoption process to go through. What you have to remember is that these people are VOLUNTEERS in many rescues. They have other jobs, they have their own dogs to care for, and life outside of the rescue. These people donate their time to find suitable homes for these dogs. Day in and day out these people give up time out of their day to be subjected to irresponsible breeding, animal abuse, and just generally careless people.I don't mean to sound preachy or rude, but it's the reality of many of these rescue workers. They take time to find a suitable home to ensure the dog has a home "forever" and isn't returned days/weeks later.My dog was from a no-kill shelter. I visited one day, they told me they needed to meet all household members. So I came back the next with my Border Collie. Signed the papers and left.