How do i make my puppy feel more comfortable when I bring him home?

I'm getting a jack russell pup on tuesday, 8 weeks old. He will have flea drops and worming stuff on that first day and also be introduced to a new home, new bed, new food, new play area, new toys, new people.. How can i make sure my puppy is ok with all…

I'm getting a jack russell pup on tuesday, 8 weeks old. He will have flea drops and worming stuff on that first day and also be introduced to a new home, new bed, new food, new play area, new toys, new people.. How can i make sure my puppy is ok with all…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How do i make my puppy feel more comfortable when I bring him home?...

• How do i make my puppy feel more comfortable when I bring him home?

How do i make my puppy feel more comfortable when I bring him home? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm getting a jack russell pup on tuesday, 8 weeks old. He will have flea drops and worming stuff on that first day and also be introduced to a new home, new bed, new food, new play area, new toys, new people.. How can i make sure my puppy is ok with all this new stuff emotionally? (never had a pup before)

How do i make my puppy feel more comfortable when I bring him home? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Do not let all the "new" overwhelm him. Don't let everybody handle him. Keep him with you and away from commotion, give yourself time to bond with him and figure out his personality a bit. Get a crate for him. When you put him in it don't snatch him out just open the door and let him come out when he wants to.

• Bring a few puppy blankets when you go to pick him up. Rub them all over his mom and siblings. They will love you for petting them and he will feel more comfortable. :)

• Puppies adjust to new situations very well, and it sounds like you are very prepared to meet the puppies needs. Just to be safe, make sure your home is quiet for the first couples nights to make sure that he/she isn't startled. Also don't invite a lot of people over to meet the pup initially. It's a good idea for you just to get to know your new family member and let them get use to you. Hope this helps :o)

• Don`t overwhelm the pup with lots of people and fuss for the first day or two. Give him time to settle in quietly.Expect to get up at least twice in the night to let him out for a wee/poo.It would be a good idea to get a crate for him to sleep in while he is young. Also try and keep him on the food that the breeder has been giving to him to avoid tummy upset which could happen if you suddenly change his food.At 8 weeks he should be having his first inoculation against all the dog diseases so if he has not had this done by the breeder, book him in at a vets. Expect a lot of "accidents" until you have trained him to do his toilets outside. Never scold him for this though. Just watch out for him running in small circles and sniffing around then scoop him up and put him outside. When he "goes" praise him with a really happy tone of voice. Buy a good book from the pet store on "Puppy Care" as it will be very helpful to you as a first time owner.Good Luck.

• Prepare his place ahead of time so you are not unprepared when you walk in the door with him. Have a crate ready and comfortable and a limited amount of space he is allowed. Try and get blankets from his last home, or an old toy, something with a familiar smell. Let him decide what he is up for but try to keep the first day quiet with a limited amount of people in the room at one time. Gradually increase his space over the next few days and introduce him (supervised) to other areas of the house. I picked up my little puppy Zoey last week and she has a crate and playpen in the bedroom, we played in her playpen and then she slept most of the rest of the day in her crate. First carides, new people and smells are very tiring for a young puppy. Expect a lot of sleeping. I also got Zoey a snugglepuppy ($30), which has a heater and a heartbeat in it, but don't really think she cared for it too much. I also used D.A.P infusers that are supposed to have some kind of comforting scent on it, but I didn't notice much (of course it could have worked, who knows). Just keep her close, let her sleep in the same room the first few nights, and slowly introduce new people as her confidence rises.

• Introduce them all to him slowly. Take him room to room one by one. Introduce them to him with a happy and excited tone. Do not feel anxious or worried- dogs can sense feelings and will look upon this as 'weak'. When I introduced my jack russel terrier (She's a two year old though. There's a difference XD) to the home and everything new, I closed the door so we were in an enclosed space and I could watch her closer. It's easier if your dog is introduced to a new home room by room, one by one. If you just let them go around the house they will run around the house like crazy.When I introduced my jack russel to her kennel (She is NOT crate-trained) I got some food that she liked and invited her over, sounding super excited. She came over and sniffed the kennel, and then I placed a treat inside and she went in easy as pie. Of course, I didn't close the door so she could freely go out whenever she wanted.First of all, check if your dog food is dry. If it is, check the ingredients for ANYTHING with corn. My dog refused to eat her science diet, and it was recommended by the shelter too! I looked at the ingredients, and guess what- whole grain corn. Dogs are carnivores. They can't digest corn right. And yes, they do include corn in dog food -.-. Make sure you feed your dog on set times, or she will feel she is alpha and can eat whenever she feels like it. If she does not eat the food, I would try again later, when she gets hungry she will eat.Again, introduce everything to her slowly. When I got some new toys for my dog, I found she did not like those kind of toys, but a few days later she was wrestling with them and taking them to me to play fetch. Take your dog around the walk route many times so they can get used to it. My dog is sadly, shy, so I can't help you with the introducing new people and new dogs, as I am still working on that with my own dog, but I suggest looking it up online :). There are many great guides for introducing new dogs and people to your new dog.But what I would be worried about instead of your puppy being comfortable with his new home, would be teaching your dog the basic obedience commands and that you are the alpha in the house. I would worry about that more.