Is it okay to get a puppy at 9 weeks old?

Im getting a puppy soon but wont be able to pick it up till its 9 weeks old. Does this effect how it will settle in or how it will bond with me? Thanks.

Im getting a puppy soon but wont be able to pick it up till its 9 weeks old. Does this effect how it will settle in or how it will bond with me? Thanks....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is it okay to get a puppy at 9 weeks old?...

• Is it okay to get a puppy at 9 weeks old?

Is it okay to get a puppy at 9 weeks old? Dog Breed Discussions
      Im getting a puppy soon but wont be able to pick it up till its 9 weeks old. Does this effect how it will settle in or how it will bond with me? Thanks.

Is it okay to get a puppy at 9 weeks old? Dog Breed Discussions
    • The age of any animal will affect how it relates to you and its surroundings, however I believe 9wks is still an acceptable age. Younger than 7wks is a bit daunting to a baby animal. When I was a child my mom wanted a male Yorkie for her female to later breed, the one we ended up getting was 5wks old--fr too young to be leaving its original home and mother. However the family selling the dogs had booked a honeymoon vacation that was unrefundable and the dog had given birth later than expected (or something like that) and so they needed to get rid of them (though personally I would have gotten a sitter to take care of them, but that's besides the point).This 5wk old puppy still needed to be fed formula and being so young ended up being very skittish, though he was still a happy healthy adult, it took him longer to get use to scary things.So at 9wks, I think you'll be fine, though just as with any new dog, make sure to reinforce proper training, etc.

• yes it is. I've gotten all 3 of my past dogs at 9 weeks. perfect age if you want to see them grow up, but make sure you train them right as you are also developing their personality/temperament during this young age.

• Yes. Just don't accept a puppy that is less than 7wks old. They need time to be weened from the mother and still need that bonding time. After that, they should be fine to take home. It's generally easier to bond/train puppies around 7wks because they are growing up with you and spending time with you. We got our puppy at 8wks and she was fine. We let her sleep with one of our shirts for the first few nights to help her sleep at night when or when we'd have to be gone for a few hours (shopping or whatever). Just spend plenty of time with the pup and remember to start training and socializing early! We made the mistake of only socializing our pup with one or two dogs and just a few people and she's a little jittery around new comers. It takes more time to get her to be comfortable around new people and dogs than it would have been if we'd socialized her more. Hope this helps!

• well the younger you get them the better. but you shouldn't take a puppy from its mother until it is completely weened. the younger they are the less they remember and they create a faster bond with you without missing their mother too much. i got a puppy at 7 weeks and it only cried the first night. he's 13 weeks now and my 3rd puppy.

• Yes, waiting until the puppy has had time with its mother and siblings will result in a more stable dog. Eight weeks is the legal minimum. Nine or ten weeks is better. For Toy breeds, eleven or twelve weeks is best.

• yes most puppys recive there first vaccine at 8 weeks so check if he has had it. he will settle better when hes 9 weeks as he's older. if you seperate puppys too early they dont learn acceptable behavour off of there siblings and they can have behvour problems. he will bond with you just fine just give him lots of love and attention

• It is actually better to get a puppy between 10-12 weeks, but 9 weeks should be ok. It is illegal in 40 states to buy or sell a puppy younger than 8 weeks. You actually improve your chances of having the dog bond with you if you wait. There are important social skills your puppy must learn from it's mother first. If you get a puppy too young, it can have serious behavior problems later in life. Never get a puppy from anyone, including a rescue, that will give it to you earlier than 8 weeks. If you want a healthy, well adjusted puppy, get one from a good breeder who keeps the pups with the mother until 10 weeks, or get a shelter puppy over age 8 weeks.

• I got my puppy from Dog's Trust when she was 10 weeks old, however we even though we saw her at 8 weeks,she had a condition so we had to wait 2 more weeks. If Dog's Trust are letting me take a puppy home at 8 weeks, you should be fine. Enjoy having your puppy!