Do animal shelters have a big range of kittens to choose from?

I'm planning to visit my local pet shelter to adopt a kitty but I wanna get a white fluffy kitten and I'm not sure if they have them. Have you ever got the kitten/puppy of your dreams from a pet shelter?

I'm planning to visit my local pet shelter to adopt a kitty but I wanna get a white fluffy kitten and I'm not sure if they have them. Have you ever got the kitten/puppy of your dreams from a pet shelter?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Do animal shelters have a big range of kittens to choose from?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Do animal shelters have a big range of kittens to choose from?

Do animal shelters have a big range of kittens to choose from? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm planning to visit my local pet shelter to adopt a kitty but I wanna get a white fluffy kitten and I'm not sure if they have them. Have you ever got the kitten/puppy of your dreams from a pet shelter?

Do animal shelters have a big range of kittens to choose from? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Yes i got my little kitten from a shelter like 8years ago and she was only 3weeks old and very beautiful black and white kitten and she's still with me after all these years:)

• Yes. Shelters are usually overwhelmed with the ammount of cats. Tell them right up front what you are looking for. Personality too. Do you want an affectionate cat that wants to cuddle, or do you want a cat that is aloof, or one that loves to run and play. You can call ahead and see if they have one that meets your needs and wants

• You may think you want a white fluffy kitten, but I'm telling you right now if you go to a shelter - the kitten or cat will choose you. Not the other way around. Always go with the kitten or cat that chooses you.

• Here in the US, there are websites with shelter pets online. Maybe the UK has the same thing. The springtime is usually when cats have their litters, and a ton of them end up in shelters. So your chances of finding a fluffy white one are fair. Good luck.A search of UK Pet Adoption brought up lots of sites. Here are the first few. http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/adoption/http://www.petadoptionuk.co.uk/http://ukpetadoptions.iconosites.com/

• Most shelters I have seen usually have at least half a dozen or so. Shelters have a pretty hard time finding homes for kittens. I have never adopted a cat from one seeing I live in the country and constantly having them dumped on me, but I have adopted dogs in the past and have adopted mustangs and a burro from the Bureau of Land Management. One of my mustangs thinks he is a dog.Our present dog is one my wife fostered for a shelter and eventually adopted. He is a good one. He's a border collie mix, and quite a faithfull lad at that.

• I would first call several shelters and ask before you go looking. Sometimes if you are too specific it could take longer to find the "exact" cat you want. I suggest you have a 2nd or 3rd choice unless you don't mind waiting.Maybe look on Petfinder too.BTW as far as finding my "dream" cat in shelter - NO - I show purebred cats (tho have adopted domestics in the past) - my "dream" cats are purebred cats and I save the money to buy them when I want them.

• Most shelters have an on line site where you can check out ahead of time what is available. No I have not adopted from a shelter. i live on a farm and need true working dogs around the cows, so usually buy from a breeder. Also have never had a problem finding cats from area people.

• I got my pitbull from a animal shelter and he is my dream dog he's the best but yes don't just go to one and loose hope go to alot of animal shelter and I'm positive you will find your dream kitten:)Try this site it's a good one:) put your zip code in and it shows you alot of animal shelters and what they have! Adopting an animal is the best feeling in the world for me and i know it was for my dog:) Good luck

• There is no telling what any one shelter will have available, it all depends on what they've had signed over to them. The most common coloured cats to have signed over are black and black/white cats. Just go along and meet some, you may find that short-haired black cat is the one you bond with best! Go along with an open mind, don't have your heart set on any one colour or breed, go for personality of the cat rather than what it looks like!

• I have had several pet from local animal rescue centres. The range of animals they have it depends on what comes in they never know what they are going get it all depends on what needs a new home.