How long can a dog be left alone in the house for?

I may be adopting a small dog, but I'm need to know how much time I'm going to have to be at home and how long I'm going to be able to leave her. I don't work full-time but will have to leave her in the house 4 or 5 hours a few times a week. There may be…

I may be adopting a small dog, but I'm need to know how much time I'm going to have to be at home and how long I'm going to be able to leave her. I don't work full-time but will have to leave her in the house 4 or 5 hours a few times a week. There may be…...
    General Dog Discussions : How long can a dog be left alone in the house for?...

• How long can a dog be left alone in the house for?

How long can a dog be left alone in the house for? General Dog Discussions
      I may be adopting a small dog, but I'm need to know how much time I'm going to have to be at home and how long I'm going to be able to leave her. I don't work full-time but will have to leave her in the house 4 or 5 hours a few times a week. There may be a couple of occasions that I need to leave her longer, maybe 7 or 8 hours, but only rarely. Is this fair? Some people I've spoken to say it's cruel to leave a dog alone for so long, others say it's fine as long as she's got space and toys and somewhere to 'go', and I take her for lots of walks and look after her when I am there. What do you think? Don't want to take her on if I'm going to be doing something that isn't good for her! Advice from more experienced dog owners would be much appreciated.

How long can a dog be left alone in the house for? General Dog Discussions
    • Many people do so, and you need to explore and learn about crating the dog while you are away. It makes them feel more secure, and keeps them from destroying things in the house. There is nothing like the adoration of a dog when you do get home!

• My next door neighbour left their dog two weeks alone with just someone popping in to feed at 5pm. Judging by the constant yapping it was not happy. In general the dog is left for at least 8 hours a day and doesn't yap a lot.I think as long as you are taking dog for nice long walks every day it's okay to be left even for 8 hours.

• my dogs can stay in the house 10 hrs or more. Its a matter of training, fed them at a set time walk them at same times every day and they get used to routine

• practically speaking never,, and more practically speaking,, leave him for as long as he can survive on the food and drink that you leave for him,, other requirements he will take care of by himself.

• as for small puppies, they cant be left alone for that long cause they need to use the potty quite often, as for an older puppy/dog, they can be left alone for about 6 hours, but by then they are really needing to go outside to do their thing..my dog is 10 mos. old and the longest ive left her was for 6 hours,but thats not everyday either, that is just occasionally.

• Different dogs react differently to being left - and it isn't always the owners fault. Its just that some dogs can't stand being alone for long.They can learn, but you can't leave them while at the same time you are training them to be left alone! Most dogs are ok for 4 hours, some manage 8. You can crate them, exersize before you go and after you return, and leave a radio playing quietly. Leave chews and a worn t-shirt or used pillowcase with your scent on.But at first for the 8 hour stint I'd get someone to come in for an hour to walk the dog.

• Generally, we don't leave our dogs alone for longer than four hours. We have 5 little dogs, one large, and the smaller dogs have a smaller bladder capacity - it's a strain and unhealthy for them to hold it longer than that without having the opportunity to pee. If we have to be gone for longer than four hours, we hire someone to let them out & spend a half an hour with them. It's only fair. For your dog, don't ask it to mess where it lives or hold it an unreasonable time - it stresses them out and makes them very anxious for you to come home, and it's definitely not good for their system. Build an outdoor kennel, or ask someone to walk your dog if you have to be gone for long. Ask a responsible kid in the neighborhood....

• All dog owners face this problem from time to time.So long as your house is Dog friendly and you are able to walk them both before and after long periods locked up then it's ok.Just try not to make it too regular othewise bordem sets in and the destruction begins!

• No, not fair.Dogs are social animals and should only be with people who can look after then all day.Our farm dogs accompany me where ever i go, they need to be out all the time.House dogs are just toys to the owners, how cruel is that ?

• I think you would be OK to adopt her- give her a Kong toy stuffed with kibble and stuff to chew on. Puppy proof your home. Maybe confine her to one area of your home when you are gone- preferably not a carpeted area. Realize that at least initially she may have an accident or 2. It's not her fault. I hear some small dogs can be trained to use litter boxes like cats. They sell them at Petsmart.You say "dog" not "puppy" and in your situation a grown dog would probably be easier.If you could arrange to be home more often the first couple weeks you have her that would help.And yeah- lots of walks and attention when you are home would be great.Many dogs have it a lot worse than the situation you describe.

• Hi When you get home again take her out for plenty of walks and if she know's she is going out she'll get used to it and give her plenty of fuss. I used to leave mine about four hours but she knew it was walkies when I got in,good luck

• It depends on what breed she is,how hyper she is and what age she is.you dont want to leave a small puppy at home alone too long becausse they will have accedents and chew things up.If she is a hyper dog than you will not want to leave them,because the same thing.hope i hepled

• What age is the dog? Puppies need more work and more time but will get used to being left easier than an older dog that hasnt before. I currently have two dogs, both rescues so both have slight hate of abondonment. My husband and I now both work full time so my eldest dog (5yrs) has been used to being left alone for a few years now - he wasnt in the beginning. Obviously it can be very easy for a dog to become bored but it can also depend on the breed and character of the dog how long this will take. Some dogs take it very personally and can destroy a house within 20mins of being left others wont touch a thing all day. We have recently started leaving the eldest dog outside when its sunny as we have a huge secure garden and he has shelter, (some would say this was also cruel) but he loves it and it stops him from causing damage (hes always had a taste for wood since being a puppy). We have recently acquired a new rescue female 4 month old puppy who my husband comes home from work for to feed her and let her out at lunchtimes due to her size and age she is currently in the house but is left in a huge pen with loads of toys etc when we are out.As far as we are concerned its better for a dog to have love, care and attention and lots of toys to play with and lovely walks than not to have a home at all.Dogs give you loads of love and joy in return for what you give to them.Not many if any dog owners dont work or go out at sometime without them it would be impossible to live that way.I hope my perspective helps - its really a personal thing between you and the dog and hopefully the companionship will be for many years.