I plan to buy a dog, but need to know how to find a good breeder and what to look for in a good breeder?

I am planning to get a white German sheperd, but as I have never bought a dog before I have no clues on how to find a good breeder, what makes a good breeder and how to choose a good healthy puppy. I live here in the uk. Please help. Thank you!

I plan to buy a dog, but need to know how to find a good breeder and what to look for in a good breeder?

I am planning to get a white German sheperd, but as I have never bought a dog before I have no clues on how to find a good breeder, what makes a good breeder and how to choose a good healthy puppy. I live here in the uk. Please help. Thank you!...
    Dogs Training Discussions : I plan to buy a dog, but need to know how to find a good breeder and what to look for in a good breeder?...

• I plan to buy a dog, but need to know how to find a good breeder and what to look for in a good breeder?

I plan to buy a dog, but need to know how to find a good breeder and what to look for in a good breeder? Dogs Training Discussions
      I am planning to get a white German sheperd, but as I have never bought a dog before I have no clues on how to find a good breeder, what makes a good breeder and how to choose a good healthy puppy. I live here in the uk. Please help. Thank you!

I plan to buy a dog, but need to know how to find a good breeder and what to look for in a good breeder? Dogs Training Discussions
    • to find good breeders takes work. i would suggest looking up local ones and looking at the pictures. do the dogs look happy healthy and clean? do they have toys? is the area clean? if they pass that go and visit. same questions apply. also see if you can look at the parents and their condition. you should also be able to ask your breeder any question and they should help you though it. Hope it helps!

• First of all, before going to a breeder PLEASE check out your local humane society or animal shelter. So many dogs are homeless, and they are very important as well as purebred dogs. Some purebreds can come from humane societies. Two of my dogs so far have come form humane societies and have been purebred Rhodesian ridgeback and collie. First of all, check to see if the breeder is responsible and doesn't acquire from puppy mills and treats their animals with care! If you have to adopt from the breeders, try to rescue! This sounds strange to rescue from a breeder, but there are always dogs that aren't wanted that are perfectly fine. Please try to help out these unlucky animals! I hope you enjoy your new friend and family member! Be sure to spay and neuter your dogs!

• ok first you should know all about the breedthen you need to ask the breeder some questions ,what was his mother send me some pic of it ,what do u feed him ,is he vacinated ,he is wormed and is he dog house or kennel , does the owner has a yard ,is the owner friendly , is the dog mainly for shutzund, hunting ,medical dog ,wild dog , or a k9 ,is it already trained or is it a puppy etc .if you wanna look for this kind of dog go to classified ads or friends of friends if not then like the users above sites like pets4you.com /petfinder .com / etclook at the eys,the mouth,ears,paws,skin ,teeth, face ,body ,his back places just buy 2 books first dr bruce fogle dog helper about the functions and stuff then about training

• Are you absolutely fixed on what type of dog you want? Why don`t you take a trip round some dogs homes first.? See if a dog chooses you. So many beautiful dogs needing loving homes... The thing you can`t know, is if the breeder has bred the bitch too much, and your pup will have all kinds of health problems. Some of the best and most loving and loyal dogs come out of the dogs home. And it`s a darn sight cheaper than a pedigree. Good luck to you and your future furbaby.

• do your home work. make sure you can afford the dog, vet bills, food, insurance, vaccinations, have you got time to look after the dog, is the dog going to be at home on its own most of the day (not good). You really need to put a lot of time and effort into looking after a dog.Please make sure the breeder is KC registered and has all the papers for the pups that he is selling. If not, shoot him/her. Only joking!!. Just don't buy the pup off them if they are not registered breeders.Just do as much research as possible into the breed, before buying one.Happy walkies (plenty of them as well!)Or better still, please visit your local dog shelter!

• A good breeder will let you examine the property and parents of the potential puppy you are buying.If one of the parents seems aggressive don't purchase a puppy cause the breeder is not breeding for temperament they are only breeding for money.Make sure there is a health certificate given when purchasing the puppy and that it has some shots already given.Also ask for their vets phone # to call the vet and get some info about how the breeders over all care for their dogs is. Ask if the puppy has been given any type of potty training or crate training.

• From my reading of FCI standards, white german shepherd are not proper. As such, a responsible breeder will not be breeding them.Please refer to the breed standards in the UK (I believe it is FCI).You'll get many lists of things good breeders do. They vary in correctness. What is, to me, the best indicator is is the breeder a member of good standing in the local (if available) and national breed club? If they are and are an active member.of the club that's a pretty good indicator of responsible breeding practices.

• Well, the White German Shepherd is NOT a desirable color. In fact, it is a fault, and this color can't even be shown. So, to make a long story short......You will NOT find a reputable, responsible breeder that breeds whites on purpose! You'll have to look for a crappy breeder, if that's what you REALLY want.

• You should get in touch with the kennel club, and ask them for the breeders in your area for the specific breed. and they should ALL be good. As for choosing a good healthy puppy, there are no guarantees, my puppy was expensive and after a few short weeks we found he had tummy ache, and turns out he had a twisted intestine, a fault at birth.That is a rare occurrence but, there can not be a guarantee that something underlying and pretty tragic can't happen, the breeder had no clue and sold him as he was, perfect. Which brings me to my second point, if you wanted a slightly older one there is a thing called puppy line, which is where I got my replacement dog from, because I had bought two and had to replace one for my daughter.The dog I got from Puppy line was a beautiful dog, but the breeder had started training him for crufts and as it happened he trapped his tail in a door or something, which caused his tail to be not perfect enough for Crufts, but he was perfect for me. so Puppy line could be another line of research, it may be that you can get one slightly house trained which is a bonus in itself.Good Luck

• I think white German Shepherd Dogs are frowned upon so I would be very careful with whom you get one from. In the United States, they cannot be shown, for instance. They are not recognized by AKC because the PARENT club has decided this. However, other kennel clubs or a group of people with white shepherds want to register or recognition, so they allow the white color. So, what kind of person would be breeding ONLY white GSDs ? There are people who fancy the white GSD and have formed clubs.There is a large group that rescues white German Shepherd here in the States, too. I helped transport for them one time. This is ECHO. What rescue groups do you have in in the UK ? I would be concerned with health and how the puppy is raised. I suggest research Gernan Shepherd Dogs in general and their health problems. Then with any breeder, I would find out what kind of tests they do on the adults before breeding. Do they have any titles, especially in obedience or performance? Have they had their hips, elbows, heart, eyes, thyroid, and other tests? Visit and see where the pups are raised and look for safety, toys, playing with other adults, handling by the breeder several times a day, and the veterinary history. Research "How to pick a good puppy."By the way, their white hair is VERY noticeable..... since all dogs shed and their white hair is long. I suggest you make up your mind to brush/groom every other day and learn to enjoy sweeping... LOL ! See reference links below.............................................

• For a first dog, I would recommend against a white shepherd, or any shepherd. Google german shepherd health problems and you'll see why. It's not just the color, health problems are common in the breed, and they are major when they come. Also, Shepherds tend to live shorter lives than many breeds, and can have behavior issues if not trained properly. I would be concerned that this is not a good choice for a first time dog owner even without the color or the general health problems of the breed.That said, the decision is your own, and your question about how to find a good breeder is a wonderful one. Start by imagining if you were the breeder. How would you protect the future of a puppy you had gone to great lengths to breed, care for and raise? You would ask many questions about a potential buyer's experience with dogs, work schedule, routine and living circumstances. You would do appropriate health checks on the parents to make sure you're not breeding bad genetics and be proud to share the health certificates with the potential buyer. In fact, you would insist on providing them, and you would require in your contract that the buyer have their own Vet check out the dog very soon. You would have a contract r

• first contact the kennel club and the breeds clubs, they should be able to put you in contact with a breeder. read the breed standard so u know what one should look like.Ask the breeder lots of question - a good breeder will be happy to answer them.ask about the parents eghelath tests done (hip scoring etc) - if they havent been done walk away.How old is the mother - should be over 1 year prefurbaly 2 years+when was her last litter - should not have been within a year of this onewhat are there temperments - unfriendly dogs should not be breedask to see them - seeing mum with the pups is a must!ask about the other stuff egare they kept in kennels or in the home - see where they live is it clean ectare they willing to take the pup back if there is a problem - good breeders wont have a problem with thisdo they home checkhow many dogs do they have - if they have tones of dogs i would be warie.wht advice can they give you about the breed and raising a dog - a good breeder will know alot about there breedask about the pups egwill they be wormed and have first vaccinationswhat food are they fedhow old will they be when allowed to leave - must be at least 8 weeks no youngerare they kept in the homeyou may find it hard as the colour white is a fault in the German sheperd breed, so not many good breeders will be trying to breeding them. advoid adds in local papers as many people have been breeding them soley for the colour and money with no thought for health and temperment so there are many white ones out there with health and temp problems.good luck kennel clubhttp://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/breed clubshttp://www.bagsd.net/http://www.gsdleague.co.uk/

• In the UK they are working towards registering them under the name White Swiss Shepherd, but I am not sure how far along they are.I have given you a website below of a WGSD group, if you decide to get one, make sure both the parents are registered, ask if they have had their hips scored and tested for vWD. Make sure you meet the parents to check out the temperament - should be friendly, aloof allowed, but absolutely no aggression or fear allowed to be shown. If they say something like "I'm sorry, I have sold the parent, or the dog is not here today, then that would be very suspect. They should be member of an association or doing some sport with their dogs. Ask to see all the certificates and test results yourself. if they can not answer all these questions satisfactory, then I would keep looking.Source(s):http://www.walcss.50megs.com/