How will my cat react to a puppy joining the family?

Does anyone have experience of this? My cat is 4 years old and the centre of attention in our house! I'm sure she will be upset at first but do you think it will ruin our bond in the long-term?

Does anyone have experience of this? My cat is 4 years old and the centre of attention in our house! I'm sure she will be upset at first but do you think it will ruin our bond in the long-term?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How will my cat react to a puppy joining the family?...

• How will my cat react to a puppy joining the family?

How will my cat react to a puppy joining the family? Dogs Training Discussions
      Does anyone have experience of this? My cat is 4 years old and the centre of attention in our house! I'm sure she will be upset at first but do you think it will ruin our bond in the long-term?

How will my cat react to a puppy joining the family? Dogs Training Discussions
    • They usually reach an understanding. A couple of hisses and swats to the puppy's nose will keep him in line.I've had an older cat and got a puppy. They aren't buddies (well, the dog like the cat more than vice-versa), but they tolerate each other well enough.

• infact i HAVE had an experience with this! and still going through it haah!!basically...there will be a lot of hissing.The cat will run, dog will chasethe cat WILL scratch.. the dog will run.The dog doesnt learn.. goes after the cat again;..Try to keep them in the same room a lot.. and be sure to be holding the cat or the puppy when they first meet.Should be fine! two of my 4 cats love our year old collie, and hes big! haha. GL!

• I have plenty experience. If the cat hasn't really been introduced to dogs, then she or he might be scared and run or hide. Don't worry if it stops eating or going to the bathroom for a couple of days, this might just be stress, she or he will grow out of it and get used to the fact that your family is getting a puppy. Make sure you have enough attention to go around! Good luck!

• I have been in this sort of situation in the past and cats do react shocked at first, our cats would fluff up their body fur and tails with a hiss here and there but nothing major really and soon settled after a few days to a week, and our cat was 7 and spoilt so you can imagine she wasn't too pleased about it at first,but be sure your cat has a hiding place high up away from the puppy so she can watch from above and inspect this new comer in the home without fear of him/her, this is very important as she needs to feel secure in her own home and her territory,you could even give the puppies bedding to sniff this way she can smell without being scared as a scared cat will hit out and you don't want any fights you need to keep everything calm,other things to remember is feed your cat away from the puppy as most puppies we had would find it fun to pull on a cats tail while the cat was eating and you can imagine it doesn't go down well often with the puppy at the worst end when the cat turns,but other wise we have managed it and cat and puppy were friends quite quickly and as the puppy grew they would both lie down together often cuddled up,and to think my cat wasn't keen at the start but it worked out in the end,we have done it more than once and each time a cat does accept a new comer,be sure to make a fuss of your cat though to avoid any jealousy make her feel special as always so she knows she is still your girl,and i hope you enjoy them both for many years to come.