What is your definition of a dog that possesses a "GOOD" temperament?

We often hear people say, or read adverts of dogs/puppies for sale, that proclaim the dogs have "good"temperaments.What would be your idea of a dog that has a "good" temperament?Good is a bit of a loose description don`t you think? Or [email protected]

We often hear people say, or read adverts of dogs/puppies for sale, that proclaim the dogs have "good"temperaments.What would be your idea of a dog that has a "good" temperament?Good is a bit of a loose description don`t you think? Or [email protected]…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What is your definition of a dog that possesses a "GOOD" temperament?...

• What is your definition of a dog that possesses a "GOOD" temperament?

What is your definition of a dog that possesses a "GOOD" temperament? Dogs Training Discussions
      We often hear people say, or read adverts of dogs/puppies for sale, that proclaim the dogs have "good"temperaments.What would be your idea of a dog that has a "good" temperament?Good is a bit of a loose description don`t you think? Or [email protected] what IS your definition of a GOOD temperament?????

What is your definition of a dog that possesses a "GOOD" temperament? Dogs Training Discussions
    • dogs that regularly are not known to attcack humans unless they have a reason like greyhound,labs,retreivers,dalmations,and great danes. or small breeds generally cause the size thing makes them usually pretty timid

• Good is a loose description you are correct. Everyone thinks thier dog has a good temperament, but you never know what a dog might do in different situations. My second bull terrier has a good temperament but I keep one eye on him at all times... Likes people, other animals and doesn't bite:)o....

• A "good" temperament is one that fits the breed's description to a tee, plus has rock solid nerves. It varies for each breed, for example, an APBT with a good temperament will always be excellent with people, but highly dog aggressive, with NO fear. There are too many dogs alive today with shtty temperaments, and that's down to bad breeding.Edit: Stable dogs can be aggressive when the breed standard specifically calls for it. IE, the Fila or APBT .

• Good temperament to me is that the dog is stable. It hasn't had any behavioral issues(that aren't related to lack of training), it has nipped, growled or snarled at anyone, it hasn't shown any aggression(fear based or otherwise). That's a "good" temperament to me. That being said, dogs are animals and animals are unpredictable. How they act in one home can be completely different to how they act in a different home.@Sid-Great points. Yeah, I know that- Breed standard for some dogs is for them to be dog aggressive. Doesn't mean they're unstable. I wasn't even thinking about those breeds until you brought it(and breed standard) up. I was just thinking of the typical household pet dog in general, not specific breeds.ADD: I just found out that I'm going to a shelter to help with a rescue that I know. To do temperament testing on dogs there-so If this question is still open when I get back, I will probably add more details on what I learn :)ADD2: Sorry it's taken me so long to update, right after I got back from the shelter I had to leave for work. Basically, this is how the temperament testing went:First brought the dog(s) we were interested in pulling from the shelter out. Had them meet face to face-see how they did with other dogs. First in a big room, then a small room.Then the person tested each dog by touching their body randomly, their paws, grabbing their skin/body, their ears, their tail. Basically-doing all this was to see how the dog would react. This is mainly to test to see whether the dog would do well in a house with young children or would be better in a house with older children/no children. Those were the things done at the shelter. We pulled three dogs out-only one would do best at a home without small children. The others were great. These dogs were mixed breeds, but basically it was to test what I think people are usually looking for when adding a dog to their household. Unfortunately it was a kill shelter so all dogs backgrounds aren't very reliable(there was one dog there that was stated to be 14 years old-she didn't have a grey hair on her, had a lot of energy and her teeth didn't look like a dog that age. Plus the information on her was all scattered.) I think by doing that sort of 'temperament' test plus more when the dogs are placed in their foster homes will help the people of the rescue get a better 'feel' of the dog's temperament to tell potential people that want to adopt from the rescue.

• I disagree. Labrador Retrievers are one of the friendliest and most tolerant of dog breeds. Dalmatians are prone to having tempers which is why a lot of people who breed them claim their puppies have good temperament. Almost all breeders will claim that they only breed excellence into their dogs with amazing temperaments but it may just be a line to sell you on. You should look at the condition the puppies are kept in and contact the vet they treat their dogs/puppies at. The vet can give you an honest opinion on the breeder. When I was looking for my last dog we called the vets of two breeders. One passed brilliantly and the other well not so much. Needless to say that vet is what gave us a good idea of who to choose. A good breeder is generally someone who dedicates their time to that specific breed. If you go onto a breeders website and they have multiple breeds then they probably care more about quantity instead of quality. A good breeder will socialize the puppies as early as possible and have them health checked with various health guarantees. That early socialization is the key to having a "good" temperament dog and only breeding dogs who have good temperaments themselves. It comes down a lot to how they're raised from day 1 but some breeds are a bit more hot tempered than others. Before buying any dog look into books on that specific breed to get a general idea of what it's temperament will be. Then once you've decided on the type of dog find a good breeder (who can be pricey sometimes) and check with the vet they use along with the environment the puppies are born and raised into before handing over any money. Also if a breeder is willing to give you the puppy before 8 weeks of age that's a red flag also that they're not good. Good breeders may make you wait until they're older than 8 weeks but the wait will be worth it to get a healthy pup.

• A good temperament and true breed traits could be two different things.To me a good temperament is a dog who is completely unflappable, no matter what you throw at it, including kids, crowds, loud noises, grooming, nail trimming, storms, etc. For instance, my one Minpin has an awesome temperament. She can handle any kid, even if they poke her in the eye or pull her tail, or even try to pick her up. She can heel through large crowds without any reaction at all, and can stand right next to someone who drops a cast iron skillet on the floor without doing much of anything, except maybe looking at the person who dropped it.She is not bothered by many hands reaching for her, or the fact that everything in her world is much taller than she is.She is, however, a very lazy vermin hunter.My Cattle Dog has a wicked awesome herding drive, and is scary smart. I always tell people I would like to sign her to a South American soccer team, as she is the best blocker I have ever come across.However, the fact that she is so GOOD at what she was bred for makes her what I would call a difficult temperament. She doesn't like kids, and has no use for people who get in the way of her doing her job. She is also very territorial, which can be controlled, but not trained away, as Cattle Dogs should be this way.I surely would not take her out in a crowd of thousands, like I do my Minpin!

• i don't think people can say a puppy has a good temperament ... most puppies are sweet at first ... the dog's real personality is not known in the first few months ... i also do not define purebreds as ALL having good temperaments ... a friend spent over a thousand dollars for a tiebetan spaniel from the most respected breeder in our part of the country, waited almost two years to get the puppy, and that breeder claimed all her dogs had good temperaments ... the puppy my friend got turned fanatic, was returned to the breeder and euthanized ... any dog can have a good temperament ... such as my mutt ... i would define a good temperament as being a calm, friendly dog ... a dog that can be introduced to new situations without extreme fear or avoidance ... a dog that can walk by other dogs and people and be non-reactive ... a dog that will be calm and friendly when strangers want to say hi ... a dog that can be handled by a child with no aggression from the dog ... a dog receptive to training and handling ... a dog with good social skills with other dogs, so no lunging, barking, running up into other dog's faces ... and i also do not think temperament defines the dog ... a dog with good temperament can easily become a nasty dog with inexperienced owners and lack of proper training and boundaries ... but a dog with a good temperament is going to be easier to train and handle with owners with the proper dog training/handling skills ...

• Temperament is breed specific. I always want to ask those breeders what they mean by "good temperament". The ones that I have asked give some dumb looks and answers like he's good with children and the like. Then I go on and ask if the puppy has ever been around children. If the answer is no then I ask them how do they know. I've also asked a breeder or two if they think that proper socialization has anything to do with good temperament. You'd be amazed at those answers.Here is my answer to your question. I have English springers and this is what I look for in a dog with a good temperament: The typical Springer is friendly, eager to please, quick to learn and willing to obey. Such traits are conducive to tractability, which is essential for appropriate handler control in the field. In the show ring, he should exhibit poise and attentiveness and permit himself to be examined by the judge without resentment or cringing. Aggression toward people and aggression toward other dogs is not in keeping with sporting dog character and purpose and is not acceptable. Excessive timidity, with due allowance for puppies and novice exhibits, is to be equally penalized. If I had a Welsh springer spaniel this is what I would look for in temperamentThe Welsh Springer Spaniel is an active dog displaying a loyal and affectionate disposition. Although reserved with strangers, he is not timid, shy nor unfriendly. To this day he remains a devoted family member and hunting companion.If I had a Jack russell terrier; The terrier must present a lively, active and alert appearance. It should impress with its fearless and happy disposition. It should be remembered that the Jack Russell is a working terrier and should retain these instincts. Nervousness, cowardice or over-aggressiveness should be discouraged and it should always appear confident.A german shepherd dog:The breed has a distinct personality marked by direct and fearless, but not hostile, expression, self-confidence and a certain aloofness that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. The dog must be approachable, quietly standing its ground and showing confidence and willingness to meet overtures without itself making them. It is poised, but when the occasion demands, eager and alert; both fit and willing to serve in its capacity as companion, watchdog, blind leader, herding dog, or guardian, whichever the circumstances may demand. The dog must not be timid, shrinking behind its master or handler; it should not be nervous, looking about or upward with anxious expression or showing nervous reactions, such as tucking of tail, to strange sounds or sights. Lack of confidence under any surroundings is not typical of good character. Any of the above deficiencies in character which indicate shyness must be penalized as very serious faults and any dog exhibiting pronounced indications of these must be excused from the ring. It must be possible for the judge to observe the teeth and to determine that both testicles are descended. Any dog that attempts to bite the judge must be disqualified. The ideal dog is a working animal with an incorruptible character combined with body and gait suitable for the arduous work that constitutes its primary purpose.So you can see that just by reading the temperament part of four standards you get four different answers as to what "good temperament" is in a dog.

• I think most people interpret a friendly dog as having a "good" temperament.Personally, I don't necessarily need my dogs to be friendly (although most of them are), just attentive and obedient.