What's the difference in behavior with a dog who is nuetered and is not?

My puppy isn't nuetered yet but we be soon. I heard that a dogs temper is different and they listen to you more when they are nuetered.

My puppy isn't nuetered yet but we be soon. I heard that a dogs temper is different and they listen to you more when they are nuetered....
    Dog Breed Discussions : What's the difference in behavior with a dog who is nuetered and is not?...

• What's the difference in behavior with a dog who is nuetered and is not?

What's the difference in behavior with a dog who is nuetered and is not? Dog Breed Discussions
      My puppy isn't nuetered yet but we be soon. I heard that a dogs temper is different and they listen to you more when they are nuetered.

What's the difference in behavior with a dog who is nuetered and is not? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Quite often a dog who is NOT neutered will be more territorial, aggressive, and disobedient. This is because they still have all that male testosterone encouraging them to mark their territory, and mate. Dogs who are neutered tend to be more calm, obedient, and less territorial.However, not all non-neutered dogs eshibit these behaviours. My fiances parents had a dog who lived to be 16 and was not neutered. He was the sweetest, most gentle dog ever. However, neutering and spaying your dog is the responsible pet owner thing to do.My puppy is 9 months and was neutered at 6 months. It's nothing to be worried about. I was told he would be groggy for at least a few hours and would need a cone on his head for 2 weeks (so he didn't lick open the stitches). But, he came out ready to play, and lucky for him, he didn't need to wear the cone at all! It really isn't anything to worry about. He'll be fine. Good luck!

• Yes neutered dogs will be a little easier to train as their hormones won't be effecting them e.g dominant behaviors and wandering. They also won't try to mount other dogs or people.

• It's an old wives tale. There is no change in temperament and whether he listens or not will depend on his training. What it will prevent are sexual behaviors, like marking (if it hasn't begun yet and isn't also a habit) and roaming

• There personality will not be any different. The temperament being different refers to the possible aggression of the dog. Often times aggression, wanting to roam or mount other dogs and things occur in a dog that has not been neutered and these kinds of issues MAY be reduced with neutering. The younger the dog is neutered, the better the chances that he will not have developed these tendencies anyway. But, they do not listen to you any more. I have two small male dogs that are neutered, one of them listens and obeys, but the other acts like he doesn't hear me at all. Neutering will not help that.

• It sounds like you've heard the propaganda.Spaying/neutering can change a dog's personality, and not necessarily for the better. I've seen spaying/neutering make docile dogs develop aggression issues, break housetraining, start nuisance barking, ignore their owners, among other things.Fixed dogs do not "listen to you more" nor are they easier to train than intact dogs. I've seen plenty of not listening out of fixed dogs.Male dogs do not get that many health benefits from neutering. Intact males are not automatically aggressive --- many of them don't have an aggressive bone in their body. They don't necessarily roam, and if they mark in the house it is a sign of improper housetraining.If you are getting along with your dog, and there are no intact females he might have direct access to, I'd suggest leaving him intact and seeing how it goes... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

• 35 years of dog ownership and many years of rescue, and have never had an issue with neutering or spaying. Neutering does NOT make a dog aggressive, genetics and temperament does, along with training and enviroment.Your dog will not listen more or less after being neutered. How your dog listens is up to you and how well you train him.To me the advantages of neutering far outweigh any of the cons. I have no time to deal with a crazed unaltered male if there is a female in heat in the neighborhood, and don't want to have to worry about my dog trying to get out to get to her. I also don't have to worry about marking behavior, which I have no time for, either.And last but not least, after watching a few years back, the horrific demise of a champion Afghan Hound, screaming in pain on a vets exam table, from testicular cancer, I really have no qualms about always neutering all of my dogs.