How do i get over my fear of dogs ?

So i have a really small fear of dogs , well other peoples dogs . Ive just got a new puppy ( annd dont say that was stupid because im going to grow up with it and im not totally scared of it atm ) Well anyway my sister isnt scared of it and it sits on…

So i have a really small fear of dogs , well other peoples dogs . Ive just got a new puppy ( annd dont say that was stupid because im going to grow up with it and im not totally scared of it atm ) Well anyway my sister isnt scared of it and it sits on…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do i get over my fear of dogs ?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do i get over my fear of dogs ?

How do i get over my fear of dogs ? Dogs Training Discussions
      So i have a really small fear of dogs , well other peoples dogs . Ive just got a new puppy ( annd dont say that was stupid because im going to grow up with it and im not totally scared of it atm ) Well anyway my sister isnt scared of it and it sits on her and everything and it comes to me and sits on me then i back off cause im scared i know it wont hurt me but i need a bit of help , please ? Thanks

How do i get over my fear of dogs ? Dogs Training Discussions
    • start slowly. its ok. just start with the nicest, smallest puppy you know. my sister had the same problem but she got over it. now she even pets dogs that are bigger than her! Just try with your puppy first and work your way up. Hope this helps!

• Well u don't have to start cuddling with the puppy. Just take it slow. Try throwing a ball around or take the puppy for a walk with someone and just get comfortable with the dog first. Best of luck:)

• Well, ok, i do think it was a bit silly you getting a puppy before you had overcome your fear - what if you never do?You could have gone to shelters and volunteered first.Basically i think that to overcome fear, you have to gain knowledge about what you are scared of.Ok, so - presumably it is something to do with them being a little unpredictable? Maybe hurting you? Do you suffer the same fear with other animals like cats? How is it different?Then i think you really need to start reading and becoming involved in dog behaviour - their instincts, their body language, their methods of communication - everything about what makes a dog behave the way it doesn't in a given situation.You can take your puppy and surround yourself with other puppies and see how they interact.You can volunteer yourself to help a professional behaviourist and explain your fear and maybe helping them will help you.Hopefully knowledge will help you to rationalise your fear and eventuaally overcome it.Also, if you are scared about the more physical aspects of having a dog such as biting - i urge you to become more physical with your puppy.Play with it, wrestle with it, copy the noises it makes.You will see you dog in an excited state, maybe get bitten a few time but only by a puppy which and ultimately learn how to control you dog when it is getting a little too forceful and the differences in your dog when he is being 100% playful and when he is maybe being a little pushy.

• What a blessing it is to have a dog right in your home willing to work with your fears and be your friend. :-)Dogs sense energy much more intuitively than most humans. Most dogs sensing this conflicting energy become a bit nervous themselves as they don't understand why you are nervous. ....The fact that this new dog in your home still wants to be near you is a great sign for both of you. When the dog comes over to snuggle with you, consciously strive to relax your body. Breath. Humans have a tendency to hold the breath when nervous/scared or doing something new. Be sure to breath. You don't have to pet the dog, just let the dog be with you as it's wanting to do, you concentrate on relaxing yourself and allowing this contact to happen. It should become a bit easier over time.I'm so glad you can begin your dog acceptance journey at home. Once you establish a level of ease around your own dog, you may wish to move on to other trusted dogs to further your experience.