I asked a question yesterday about my friends shih tzu?

she went into labour yesterday and so far has had 5 puppies, my friend has just rang and said that she had a really rough time after the fifth and isnt acting normal so she phoned the vets and has been rushed to an animal hospital because they fear there…

she went into labour yesterday and so far has had 5 puppies, my friend has just rang and said that she had a really rough time after the fifth and isnt acting normal so she phoned the vets and has been rushed to an animal hospital because they fear there…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : I asked a question yesterday about my friends shih tzu?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I asked a question yesterday about my friends shih tzu?

I asked a question yesterday about my friends shih tzu? Dogs Training Discussions
      she went into labour yesterday and so far has had 5 puppies, my friend has just rang and said that she had a really rough time after the fifth and isnt acting normal so she phoned the vets and has been rushed to an animal hospital because they fear there are still puppies inside her, could this be the case and what could happen to her, if she dies what happens to the puppies that are left.

I asked a question yesterday about my friends shih tzu? Dogs Training Discussions
    • It could be but, the fact that she is getting her to the vet is good. She should take the puppies too! If there is a pup inside of her and they get to the vet in time, she should recover but the pup may not. This is why I think people should be more educated about breeding BEFORE they breed.

• Of course that could be the case, if that is what the vet said. He is the expert and the one with the education. Try not to think bad thoughts until youknow the outcome, but if she is unable to care for the puppies for one reason or another, they will need to be raised by hand, or euthanized, if there is no one to take care of the puppies.

• if she is with the vets then she is in good hands and its a good job she got there quick this is only usually a big problem if remaining pups are not discovered in time. if the worst happens the puppies will need to be hand reared. this can be done they just need keeping warm in a warming box with a warm waterbottle in under a blanket and regular feeding, milk can be brought from pet shops or advised from a vet.it is a tiring job because the puppies are so tiny they need constant attetion.my lhasa had 5 pups last year and i was knackered with tht and there mum was fantastic.all the best good luck!! hope your friend has a good book on rearing pups

• A few years ago this happened to my Lhaso Apso and yes there where more puppies to come out. Sadly the puppies inside had died and luckily she lived to take care of the puppies that had been born.I believe the vet had said we could have tried to hand rear the puppies if she had died although I believe this is up to the individual vet.Good Luck

• your friend will have to be a sergeant mother for them and feed them every two to three hours for 6 weeks then she will have to switch them to step two puppy nourishment and feed them every three to four hours until fully weened and at 8 to 10 weeks they will be ready for new homes but will be vary vulnerably to diseases so they should be vaccinated as soon as possible. some dogs can not have puppies and a cesarean section is required. if the mother pulls threw i wouldn't breed her again..good luck and i hope the best for the mother and her pups...

• If the vet dose a scann and sees that there are more puppies and she can't give brith to them they will do a sec on her to get the rest of the puppies out and If she dosen't make It they will have to bottle feed them or find some one that has a dog that has just had puppies to help out till the puppies are old enough to eat on there own