i have a phobia of dogs how can i get rid without therapy?

i got bitten when younger,although can handle the nicer type ie retrievers ,jack russells etc,its the nasty ones that i fear! they seem to spot me a mile off! help pls

i got bitten when younger,although can handle the nicer type ie retrievers ,jack russells etc,its the nasty ones that i fear! they seem to spot me a mile off! help pls...
    Dogs Training Discussions : i have a phobia of dogs how can i get rid without therapy?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• i have a phobia of dogs how can i get rid without therapy?

i have a phobia of dogs how can i get rid without therapy? Dogs Training Discussions
      i got bitten when younger,although can handle the nicer type ie retrievers ,jack russells etc,its the nasty ones that i fear! they seem to spot me a mile off! help pls

i have a phobia of dogs how can i get rid without therapy? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Dogs can tell if you are afraid... they have a 'pack domination thing'.You need to know, that you are a leader over dogs. And you won't accept any domination factor from them.You own the dog! (Even someone elses)From afar, if you stand tall.... they will know that you are on top of things.Near to, if you look at them all scared and cower down ... they know you are bowing down to them.Up close, if you fall to the floor and scream ... they know you are a victim.Don't even look a dog in the eye ... Just stand tall and if the dog comes over to sniff you ... wave it away with a stern "No!".Be the boss and make sure you mean it.

• start to interract with calmer dogs, maybe your friends? let her smell you then start to stroke, ask the owner if the dog is friendly before, give it a cuddle, this happened to my friend and now she's a dog breeder!

• firstly (and Im not being rude here), Just because you know a few nice retrievers or jack Russell dont mean they all are so dont jump in everytime you see one of these breeds or you may get bitten. Depending on how bad your phobia is Id start with older dogs for the reason that they are not as energetic as younger dogs/puppies. they are much calmer, this will help you relax a lot quicker. once you are comfortable approaching or being approached by any older dog (regardless of the breed) then move on to younger dogs. Try and find a friend with a calm dog or make friends with someone that works with dogs so you can be introduced to a few different energy types in a safe environment.There are organisations that have 'pat dogs' theses dogs go around retirement homes, disabled homes/wards so that people and children can stroke them. these dogs would be ideal for you to build confidence with as they have to be calm to be allowed to be pat dogs.Do Not start with adolescent dogs as they are usually full of energy and are very bouncy and this will not help you at all.Good luck and I hope you make many fur-friends in the future

• Some of my friends were scared of dogs, so i got them locked in the sameroom with my dog :) lol but obviously that well not help YOU!Dogs are very clever and can tell when you are nervous so they must thinkwhy are you so scared? Then they try to come to you to make you feel comfortablebut the only reason is YOU ARE SCARED OF THE DOG !!!!! Don't worry that time wasages ago! if a dog bites you get in touch with the police and they get the dog put down...you never know if a dog is bad or not. I got a new nextdoor neighbour yesterday they have aAmerican bull dog but its the coolest dog ever! it would never dare to bite or hurt anyone!so you can't really tellHope i helped xx

• My autistic daughter is the same way. She is a lot better now. Actually she is just like yourself. I got a puppy & let her gradually get use to the dog. She is so much better now. Start slow. Go to a shelter & have them help you. Play or pet a small puppy. that will help.