how do you avoid getting a viscious chihuahua?

some information please! how do you train them and stuff like that?

some information please! how do you train them and stuff like that?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : how do you avoid getting a viscious chihuahua?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• how do you avoid getting a viscious chihuahua?

how do you avoid getting a viscious chihuahua? Dogs Training Discussions
      some information please! how do you train them and stuff like that?

how do you avoid getting a viscious chihuahua? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Long haired chihuahuas seem to be more docile. This is not a fact, just my opinion. My boyfriend's family has 8 chihuahuas and their personalities differ from dog to dog.

• I love chihuahuas! Not all chihuahuas are viscous, some are very sweet. It's how they are raised and such. If you have a viscous chihuahua I suggest some behavior training.

• Oh this is so easy.Simple two-step process:1. Buy an 8-week-old chihuahua puppy.2. Raise it the way you would raise a german shepherd, or rottweiler, or any other big dog, with sufficient exercise, training, rules, limits and boundaries.It will become a well-mannered, productive member of your family. I guarantee it.You make the dog.

• A dog will only be vicious if you don't train it correctly. Chihuahuas can be naturally snappy and loud though so be firm and in control. If you decide to get a more gentle small dog, think about a cavalier or pug etc.

• Buy from a reputable breeder. Avoid people breeding their pets. (BYBers) & puppy mills. spend a bit more & get a quality dog who has been bred for temperament.

• My female Chihuahua Gia has some problems with friendliness, unfortunately this is a common problem in this breed, they are known for their "aggression" they are not exactly vicious just they try to act tough when they are really scared, these dogs are very very smart and if you socialize them enough at a young age you will not have as much as a chance, they are very easy to train and mine loves to lay on my shoulder in my hair.

• Socialize socialize socialize. Treat it like a DOG. Let it go on a walk and not a ride in a purse. Don't let it jump up on people's legs even though it is only 5 pounds because you woulnd't let a 100 pound dog do the same. Basically, if you wouldn't let a 100 pound dog get away with it, don't let a chihuahua do it just because its smaller and does less damage.

• Wow people are so stupid its pathetic. No dog is born aggressive. This is so simple I can't believe a question so stupid is even being asked. Simply buy from a reputable breeder and train it the same way you would any breed. Treat it like a damn dog not a baby doll. I have a Chihuahua and a German Shepherd and since I'm not a lazy moron and actually bother to train and exercise my dogs, my Chihuahua is better behaved than my GSD.

• It's your behavior towards your dog that would determine whether it turns out to be an aggressive one or a well mannered one. It doesn't matter if it's a Chihuahua or some other dog. You need to train it properly. Most people make this mistake of treating a Chihuahua like a toy, always cuddling and giving affection and carrying it in their arms. That's why small breeds like Chihuahua or Pomeranian become aggressive. Treat these breeds like any other dog. Bad behavior should be corrected immediately. Discipline always come before affection. And when your dog shows good behavior, give him a lot of affection.....:)

• Alright, enough with the Chihuahua trash talk! I own a one year old Chihuahua and for the record she is fantastic with kids and not snippy snappy at all! I have a 3 year old niece who absolutely adores my Chi and has no problems playing and handling her....that being said, my niece was raised with dogs and knows how to behave properly with them. She knows not to run up to the dog screaming in excitement, she knows not to be rough and how to play respectfully with her. Secondly, I also have 2 other dogs...rather larger than she is and she has never even growled at them. She is a bit skittish when meeting new people and new dogs, but overcomes her initial fear after about 10-15minutes. I'm a certified trainer, so I know first hand how OWNERS can turn these courageous, loving little dogs into viscious little jerks! It all starts by humanizing them and completely forgetting that they are in fact dogs and have all the same needs as any other pooch. If you treat your chihuahua and train it as though it were an 80Lbs dog, then your Chi will develop into a normal, well-adjusted pup....provided it comes from a reputable breeder. Don't baby it, coddle it, carry it or spoil it, don't let it lounge all over human furniture....simply treat it as the dog that it is(easier said than done because they are so unbelievably adorable! but trust me, Chihuahuas are happier when they're allowed to be a dog...and not a baby). Socialize it, let it play in dog parks with other dogs, let it meet new people and give it the opportunity to visit lots of new locations to help boost its confidence. Training starts the moment you bring the dog into your home. Do not fall victim to the 'pee pads' for potty training....they are useless and cause owners way more frustration in the long run. True, tiny breeds have a harder time controlling their bladder as puppies, but my Chihuahua was completely accident free between 6 and 7 months of age and is quite capable of 'holding it' for the whole time I'm at work.You want an awesome dog, then treat it like a dog :) It really is that simple. Best of luck!