My Staffy puppy 11 weeks old fears the collar?

When I attempt to put a collar on Teal'c (my puppy) he backs into a corner and seems to be afraid. Any tips on putting his collar on succesfully without him being afraid?I have tried treats and having someone in the family help me put it on him.

When I attempt to put a collar on Teal'c (my puppy) he backs into a corner and seems to be afraid. Any tips on putting his collar on succesfully without him being afraid?I have tried treats and having someone in the family help me put it on him....
    Dogs Training Discussions : My Staffy puppy 11 weeks old fears the collar?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My Staffy puppy 11 weeks old fears the collar?

My Staffy puppy 11 weeks old fears the collar? Dogs Training Discussions
      When I attempt to put a collar on Teal'c (my puppy) he backs into a corner and seems to be afraid. Any tips on putting his collar on succesfully without him being afraid?I have tried treats and having someone in the family help me put it on him.

My Staffy puppy 11 weeks old fears the collar? Dogs Training Discussions
    • dont make a fuss, just put it on him... if you are holding him while you do it, he wont even notice it.it will feel funny around his neck at first, so he might scratch or whine and try to pull it off - just leave it on, he will get used to it pretty quickly.just make sure its not tight..

• Leave it on him... loose enough not to pinch but tight enough that he can't scratch it off... he will get used to it. My staffie loves the coller... he knows when I pull it out it means romp time!!

• The breeder should have put collars and ropes on all the pups so they would get used to the feel and the tugging. Just put a collar on him and ignore his protests to get it off. Play with him while it is on but do not try a leash until he ignores the collar. You can put the collar on b4 feeding him his meals too. Putting a collar on a dog is a dominate act so if he is an Alpha wannabe he may be telling you NO he doesn't want it. If you make a fuss over something the dog is doing wrong because he is scared(except potting inside) it reinforces the wrong. Never reassure a dog scared of something as you are saying "It is a good dog to be scared of thunder" etc.

• I had the same problem with my cattle dog and these techniques I got from my vet helped out immensely. Hopefully these ideas will help for you! I let her investigate the collar buy leaving it out in areas that she could access it, then I put the collar on and left it on for a while until she got used to the idea of having it on. I also made the collar seem like a means to a reward by either giving her a treat or playing ball with her.My vet also suggested that I take the tags off and keep them on a hook that can be attached to the collar once it was on. She seemed to think that the sound of the tags clinking together might have been scaring my dog as I was putting on the collar.Hope this helps!

• Just tell the dog to sit, put the collar on & leave it on.The puppy will soon get used to it. If you give in & remove it every time the dog objects you will send the wrong message to the dog. He has to know that you are in charge & not him.I know its hard because he is just a baby & looks cute but if you give in now you will end up with a stubborn, wilful, difficult to manage adult dog.

• 2 idea from me here, 1. when he's asleep slip it on him and leave it on, you'll find he won't realise2. be sat with him give him fuss and sneak it on, because if you don't get it on the well it could b a real problem

• Think about each time the collar has been on him, has it been an increasing stress?Time to leave the collar laying around, and definitely make sure no tags are noise making things are on it.While your pup is playing his usual way or eating his food, leave the collar sitting out and pay no attention to it, unless he is trying to chew it up... then take it from him and give him something else to chew on. Don't leave it out all the time, just by his food bowl when he eats. Next, while he is eating, pick up the collar and put it down. Do nothing else with it. Just pick it up look at it interestingly so he knows it does not hurt you, and put it down... don't involve him, other than it is right by him eating.After he seems comfortable with that, open and close it by him eating.Next, stroke him with it while he eats.Then introduce it at other times in his life when things are fun, but with no intention of putting it on him.Finally, when you think it is the right time (like this may take a couple of weeks), put it on him when it is time to eat. Take it off when he is done. Praise big time.Make it fun! Then, leave it on and play after he eats... just alittle. Then leave it on for the day and take it off at night. (do not leave it on while he is unnatended. his deep fear could crop up, and make him panic. then he may hurt himself trying to get it off, leaving you back further than square one.)Good luck, and get that baby into puppy kindergarten as soon as you get the collar thing resolved. This will make the lead and collar more fun, because it means socialization!Ps... please, try to over socialize your baby between now and 16 weeks. I mean, take him as many places and let as many people give him a treat as possible. This will make him more confident and more manageable.

• as she grows you ll find she will prefer a harness anyway , the shape of a the staffy neck its uncomfortable for them to wear a collar.our staffy don't like collars and shes 3yrs old.try tieing a bandanna on her in the house,as its soft and comfortable.

• no dogs like to have a collar on to start withat first put it on for a short time and when you take it off reward him make the period of time that you keep it on longer each time and he will grow used to it and associate it with a reward

• It's normal for a puppy to be apprehensive about anything new. As others have said, don't make a big deal out of it. Just put the collar on and leave it on for around an hour. Keep doing this for increasing lengths of time & he'll soon forget about it. Try doing it just before you feed him, so he comes to associate with good things.

• You need to show him its ok. If he backs away and you then dont put it on him, he gets a message from you that he should be frightened. Just give him a hug and put it on, then leave it on and dont take it off again. They all hate them at first but it a legal requirement that he has a collar on with a tag, just a micro chip wont do. Bless him. I love cute little puppy woes.

• Put it on and don't take off. I would hope you have an ID tag on the collar with contact information, his license tag and rabies tag. Dogs sometimes manage to fool us and get loose. My dogs have worn their collar from the day I brought them home. The only time I take it off is to bathe them. After they are dry I get the collar and tell them "It's time to get dressed" and they come to me so I can put it back on them.