Are Australian kelpies good with other dogs?

Kelpies look absoloulty gorgeouse and i know a few people who have them and use them for agility. But are they good with other dogs? I know it all depends on the dog and how it is bought up, but generaly?Also are they better at agility than border…

Kelpies look absoloulty gorgeouse and i know a few people who have them and use them for agility. But are they good with other dogs? I know it all depends on the dog and how it is bought up, but generaly?Also are they better at agility than border…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Are Australian kelpies good with other dogs?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Are Australian kelpies good with other dogs?

Are Australian kelpies good with other dogs? Dogs Training Discussions
      Kelpies look absoloulty gorgeouse and i know a few people who have them and use them for agility. But are they good with other dogs? I know it all depends on the dog and how it is bought up, but generaly?Also are they better at agility than border collies?! I would love to here all of your opinions!! Thanks in advance:)

Are Australian kelpies good with other dogs? Dogs Training Discussions
    • The Kelpies I've been around have been good with other dogs (and children). Their energy level is off the charts, though. They need extreme amounts of exercise.I think they could easily compete against any Border Collie in agility.

• I think it depends on the actual dog. I only know one kelpie, and this particular dog is fearful of other dogs and can be aggressive out of fear, but I wouldn't assume that's indicative of the breed. I think it all depends on how well the dog is socialized as a puppy. From what I've reading, they generally a non-aggressive breed, but don't always do well with small dogs or cats, because they tend to try to herd them. This is a very energetic breed, and it's important to give them lots of exercise and mental stimulation every single day, or the dog could develop some behavioral issues. In general, I would say that border collies are the best dogs for agility if you're a competitive person. Of course, a kelpie has the potential to be better than a border collie, but probably not better than all border collies. I know an amazing golden retriever that's better than a lot of border collies. A dog of just about any breed could potentially be amazing. Personally, I don't get a dog just because I'm looking for THE best dog for agility. I compete in agility, and enjoy it, but I just want my dogs to do the best that they can do and I don't pay attention to the other dogs. As long as my dogs live up to their potential, I'm happy. I choose my dogs based on the breeds I like and want to live with, not just because I want the very best dog for agility. I don't have herding breeds because they can be too high energy for me--I work a lot and don't have time for long walks every single day. So, it's important to me to get dogs that are smart, athletic, energetic enough for agility, but still can be laid back in the house when needed. I have two rescue dogs--one 5-year-old chow/husky/beagle mix, and one 19-month-old golden/JRT/pom mix. If you like kelpies, just get a kelpie, don't worry about if it's better than a border collie. Kelpies are very good at agility, and would love to do the sport with you.