What types of dogs get on with cats?

What breeds of dog would have a natural tendency to tolerate or be friendly towards cats as oppose to having a natural instinct to attack/hunt the cat? I know all dogs have different temperments...

What breeds of dog would have a natural tendency to tolerate or be friendly towards cats as oppose to having a natural instinct to attack/hunt the cat? I know all dogs have different temperments......
    Dogs Training Discussions : What types of dogs get on with cats?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What types of dogs get on with cats?

What types of dogs get on with cats? Dogs Training Discussions
      What breeds of dog would have a natural tendency to tolerate or be friendly towards cats as oppose to having a natural instinct to attack/hunt the cat? I know all dogs have different temperments...

What types of dogs get on with cats? Dogs Training Discussions
    • any dog can do it, it's all about they get yo know each other since they are puppies (the cat AND the dog) the whay both animals communicate mean the opposite in the other, so its not like a dog will naturally be friendly to cats, he needs to learn it

• I've had both dogs and cats as pets for many years. I've never had a problem with them getting along. I've had labs and shepherds mostly and most times the cat was here first, already a presence when the dog arrived.

• Bringing a dog and cat together is often a hit or miss situation.Some animals will get along from the beginning. Others take time.And some others simply can’t exist in the same household.Dogs who haven’t been raised with cats usually see them not as friends, but as prey. Cats who are unfamiliar with dogs are usually afraid of them. The best chance dogs and cats have of learning to be friendly with each other is if they are raised with or socialized to them before 4 months of age.If your dog and cat are having trouble getting along, your dog is probably chasing or threatening your cat. If your cat runs away, this usually excites your dog even more. It’s rare to have a cat who can successfully intimidate a dog, but it does happen. When introducing cats and dogs, the first priority is to ensure the cat’s safety. While cats may scratch dogs, they usually don’t kill them, but dogs can, and have, killed cats. Never put a dog and cat together and try to let them work it out. Instead, keep your dog and cat separated except when you are working on the steps in the introduction process. It’s important to monitor both pets’ quality of life. It’s not OK for your cat to be in danger, or too afraid to come out of the basement or the bedroom for fear of being harassed or harmed by the dog. Your dog should not be constantly on edge, trying to find the cat.well i hoped i helped you my cats and dogs get along fine i have 2 cats and 3 dogs.

• If the dog is introduced to the cat as a puppy, any breed should be able to tolerate and be friendly towards the cat.I do think a dog which isn't a hunting dog or a super aggressive breed might have a better record especially if introduced at a bit older age.The cat might have trouble with the puppy at first but once the kitty asserts his/her authority (a good swipe or two should do it!) the puppy will know who's boss and be the kitty's pal forever. I just love seeing cats and dogs snuggling - so sweet!We'll be adding a puppy to our 5-yr old cat's life in a year or two and the breed will be either a Cavalier Spaniel or a Golden Retriever (the golden is my preference - very mild dogs but they do shed a lot!).I think you're in for some real fun - enjoy!