Why did my border collie bite my hand?

She's 5 years old, well trained, never aggressive, and yet a couple of times she's bitten our hands/fingers quite angrily. It seems to happen when she's taken by surprise. Yet she's the least aggressive dog ever. She has PLENTY of exercise and…

She's 5 years old, well trained, never aggressive, and yet a couple of times she's bitten our hands/fingers quite angrily. It seems to happen when she's taken by surprise. Yet she's the least aggressive dog ever. She has PLENTY of exercise and…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Why did my border collie bite my hand?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why did my border collie bite my hand?

Why did my border collie bite my hand? Dogs Training Discussions
      She's 5 years old, well trained, never aggressive, and yet a couple of times she's bitten our hands/fingers quite angrily. It seems to happen when she's taken by surprise. Yet she's the least aggressive dog ever. She has PLENTY of exercise and stimulation. Thanks xShe literally pierced my finger and it REALLY hurt! Is this really normal?

Why did my border collie bite my hand? Dogs Training Discussions
    • My BC-mix did the same thing once ... also when she was taken by surprise.One of my kids' friends burst through the door without knocking, and my dog bit ME ... sunk a fang right into my leg. Mine's not aggressive, either!

• It's probably just because you've taken her by surprise like you say. If you've moved your hands quite fast near her face she may have just done it like a reflex action; border collies have eyes that are sensitive to movement. If anything goes past my collies quick they just automatically go to herd it back to me.

• It seems that she is just a fear-biter, which means you want to be careful not to startle her. Try to make sure she knows you are in the room and what you are about to do so that she won't have a reason to get scared. Also make sure to keep a close eye on her when others are around so that you don't have to risk her biting someone else. I am sure she is a good girl, she just gets scared. Poor girl.

• This may sound a bit crazy, but you say that this only happenswhen taken by suprise, is her sight and hearing ok I only say this asmany years ago a friends dog started this and it was actually asight problem almost like tunnel vision just a thought.