How can I "cure" my dog's fear of water and swimming?

I have a 1 1/2 year old husky/rottweiler who is terrified of my swimming pool and garden hoses. He has no problem walking in streams and swimming where it gets deep, but he will not even approach the area around my in-ground pool. It started when he…

I have a 1 1/2 year old husky/rottweiler who is terrified of my swimming pool and garden hoses. He has no problem walking in streams and swimming where it gets deep, but he will not even approach the area around my in-ground pool. It started when he…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How can I "cure" my dog's fear of water and swimming?...

• How can I "cure" my dog's fear of water and swimming?

How can I "cure" my dog's fear of water and swimming? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have a 1 1/2 year old husky/rottweiler who is terrified of my swimming pool and garden hoses. He has no problem walking in streams and swimming where it gets deep, but he will not even approach the area around my in-ground pool. It started when he accidentally fell in after he tried to walk on top of the solar cover. I would love it if he was able to get over his fear and would appreciate any advice!

How can I "cure" my dog's fear of water and swimming? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Ease him into it, he'll do it when he is comfortable. One of my dogs hated water but loved rocks, so I took him down to the river and started throwing rocks a little ways in and he would chase after them. I gradually threw them farther in so he would have to swim and he chased after them and swam. After that, he loved to go swimming. Give your dog lots of encouragement. He had a bad experience falling into your pool through the liner and now he is scared. Like i said, encourage him but don't force him. He'll come around.

• Don't push him into anything he doesn't want to do, that will only make his fear worse. Just do it gradually, and as soon as he gets too frightened back off. Don't treat the pool as anything special, just walk around it like you normally would. I think he will eventually follow you closer and closer until he realizes that he shouldn't be afraid.

• Altho' I'm not a huge fan of Cesar Milan, I did see this one show where he put dog treats in a plastic bowl. He let the dog eat the treats so he knew what was in there. He then put the bowl in the pool near the top steps of the pool. The dog slowly entered to get the treats.... it progressed from there.