will protection dogs feed off your fear and bite for no reason?

i suffer from ptsd from past abusive relasthioships and have great fear of men in genral and what i was wondering is if i was walking down the street and incountered a male would the dog react to my fear and bite for no other reason. I don't want a…

i suffer from ptsd from past abusive relasthioships and have great fear of men in genral and what i was wondering is if i was walking down the street and incountered a male would the dog react to my fear and bite for no other reason. I don't want a…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : will protection dogs feed off your fear and bite for no reason?...

• will protection dogs feed off your fear and bite for no reason?

will protection dogs feed off your fear and bite for no reason? Dogs Training Discussions
      i suffer from ptsd from past abusive relasthioships and have great fear of men in genral and what i was wondering is if i was walking down the street and incountered a male would the dog react to my fear and bite for no other reason. I don't want a inconcent person to be attacked.

will protection dogs feed off your fear and bite for no reason? Dogs Training Discussions
    • "Any" dog will feed off a person's fear. I would recommend leaving the dog at home and seeing a counselor if any random male on the street makes you afraid.

• No, dogs trained in protection and dogs that are generally just well trained will not attack random people, even if they are scared.A protection dog is usually trained to bark and scare off unwanted company, it will go on automatic mode if it feels you are threatened or may be threatened, but the dog is trained to stop this behaviour on command.If the threat becomes an attack, the dog will counter attack, but again, will stop on command.

• This is possible. A dog may be able to sense fear or intimidation in a person and become mean for no reason at all and without warning....since at that time they feel like they're in control.

• As long as your dog isn't a boerboel, I wouldn't worry too much. They're the only guardian with the ability to sense when your frightened, and then they will act accordingly to situation. That doesn't mean they'll attack the person, but they'll definitely make them uncomfortable.Just look for signs that the dog has become alert to the stranger. This will included the ears being straight up, an unblinking gaze, and a tail that usually doesn't move. When your dogs hair stands up on his back, it's time to get him out of there. That usually means an attack is imminent if they're left in the situation.

• In general dogs spot subtle changes in their owners behavior, and may react to your fear. If you are thinking of getting a guard dog you should train it and yourself. A trained guard dog will do nothing without command (eat, take a leak, attack, ...) Please consider a guard dog as a weapon, do not take one before thinking of the consequences.

• The problem with having a dog for protection is that these are typically very powerful dominant dogs that need confident dominant owners who are 100% in control. You don't sound like you fit that bill. For you, getting a guard dog would be like playing with a loaded gun in public. The dog WILL sense your insecurity and assume you are not a good choice for a leader. He will then assume the leadership role whether he is equiped to handle it or not. He will then decide where, when and who to bite. He may even bite you if he feels you're acting unstable.Now, that being said, if you want a dog to help you feel more confident when out and about, get a NON guarding dog. Why will this help? Consider this. One of my old Siberian Husky's, a breed known for being HORRIBLE watch dogs would sit calmly in my driveway all the time. He never barked or growled or did a single threatening thing. Yet never did any delivery man or service contractor or visitor get out of their car until they checked with me first for fear of him. So the point is, you don't need, and shouldn't have a 'guard dog' in your current mental and emotional condition. But the reality of it is, any dog of medium size will deter someone, and give you that little bit of confidence you may need. Even a friendly one.