How would a dog that hates water react to hydrotherapy?

My dog is 13 years old and has hip dysplasia and arthritis. I'd love to start hydrotherapy with her - but she hates water, won't go anywhere near it. So would things like underwater treadmills be possible for her? Would she eventually get used to it? Or…

My dog is 13 years old and has hip dysplasia and arthritis. I'd love to start hydrotherapy with her - but she hates water, won't go anywhere near it. So would things like underwater treadmills be possible for her? Would she eventually get used to it? Or…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How would a dog that hates water react to hydrotherapy?...

• How would a dog that hates water react to hydrotherapy?

How would a dog that hates water react to hydrotherapy? Dogs Training Discussions
      My dog is 13 years old and has hip dysplasia and arthritis. I'd love to start hydrotherapy with her - but she hates water, won't go anywhere near it. So would things like underwater treadmills be possible for her? Would she eventually get used to it? Or would it put too much stress on her?

How would a dog that hates water react to hydrotherapy? Dogs Training Discussions
    • She'd get used to it eventually through repetition and conditioning. Obviously the first few times are going to be a bit more traumatic. My advice to you, is have them take her back and do it without you. Nine times out of 10 the techs/vet can accomplish getting her into the tub etc, with FAR less stress, if the owner is not present. Most dogs feed off the anxiety of their owners, which make it worse.

• My old dog went on the the underwater treadmill and it worked wonders. The treadmill is enclosed in a plexyglass 'box'. There's no water in it. The therapist, wearing fishing waders, goes into the box with the dog, and the therapist straddles the treadmill. They then slowly fill the box to the desired depth, and then they start the treadmill moving. At first, my newfie mix tried to swim as the water was rising. He then got the hang of it and started to walk. The therapist let hm 'chase' a floating tennis ball to keep him moving forward. My guy had overextended tendons in his front wrists so it was painful for him to walk. The therapy helped so much. I think it would be great for the problems your dog has. Below is the website of the place we went to here in NJ. It will give you an idea of what to expect.

• If the underwater treadmill is operated by a canine physiotherapist they're experienced in managing dogs who fear water and who have never been swimming.Your dog will be nervous the first and maybe even the second time but as soon as she discovers the warm water feels good she will relax. An underwater treadmill would be excellent therapy for your dog and bring her relief from pain. I hope she is also on vet prescribed pain relief. It would be good to get her on to a glucosamine/chondroitin and MSM supplement as well. It's important the supplement contains MSM because that's what makes it bioavailable for the dog. The supplement takes about 6 weeks or so before you'll notice the benefit. All my dogs take this supplement. I start giving to to them at 6 months old and they take it for life. The one I use is a human supplement that is perfect for dogs.

• Dogs that have a fear of water are very hard to re-train. You have to gradually introduce her (or him) to new ways to experience getting wet. Make it enjoyable. A little squirt here and there, or tease them with the water. Most dogs love teasing, even though it seems to piss them off, they love it. If they are flat out afraid of water, don't put them in hydrotherapy right away. It might turn them into Cujo. But if they just get a little peeved, or express a little discomfort, wet them good... they will learn to enjoy it. Don't make it a threatening thing, laugh and enjoy it with them... they will sense that it is not a bad thing.

• SHE WILL BE SCARED AT FIRST,BUT THRU REPS SHE WILL GET BETTER.JUST LET HER KNOW SHE WILL BE OK AND TRY TO BE THERE WITH HER WHEN ITS DONE.THEN MAYBE YOU CAN GO WORK HER IN A POOL SOMEWHERE AND MAKE IT FUN FOR HER.USE DASAQUIN W/MSM FOR THE WEIGHT OF YOUR DOG.THIS WILL HELP HER ALOT.NOT LONG WALKS BUT FREQUENT WALKS WILL HELP HER NOT GET SO STIFF.KEEP ER MOVING LIKE WE HAVE TO TOO.TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE I GUESS.POOR GIRL.MY GIRL HAS ARTHUR IN HER LEG AND VETS SAYS KEEPER MOVIN.SHE S A BULLDOG BUT SO ACTIVE .GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND!