Have you rescued a dog from the pound? Good or bad experience?

I was thinking of getting a dog, but I fear it may have health or behavioral problems if I get it from the pound. Let me know what of type of dog and how old it was. Thanks.

I was thinking of getting a dog, but I fear it may have health or behavioral problems if I get it from the pound. Let me know what of type of dog and how old it was. Thanks....
    Dogs Training Discussions : Have you rescued a dog from the pound? Good or bad experience?...

• Have you rescued a dog from the pound? Good or bad experience?

Have you rescued a dog from the pound? Good or bad experience? Dogs Training Discussions
      I was thinking of getting a dog, but I fear it may have health or behavioral problems if I get it from the pound. Let me know what of type of dog and how old it was. Thanks.

Have you rescued a dog from the pound? Good or bad experience? Dogs Training Discussions
    • They make fantastic dogs. The one I have right now is better behaved than our dog that we had from a puppy.He's a terrier mix and was roughly 4-5 years when we adopted him.And sometime this week we're adding another one. A pit/rott/chow? mix. About 2-3 years old.So far, our terrier mix has never had any health problems except for needing a good teeth cleaning which should be done every 2-3 years anyway to get rid of the tartar. The only behavior problem we had at first was he wanted to run if he wasn't on his leash and over the years we have worked that to where even if a squirrel darts across the yard he wont chase after it.

• Most pounds are great to purchase dogs from, as they come microchipped and vaccinated. I know a lot of people who have had great experiences from adopted these dogs, as long as they are bought when young, and clearly healthy. Behavioral problems are connected with age, and depend on how YOU treat the dog when you've found it a home. Good luck :)

• They don't adopt out dogs that have health problems unless its something that can be cured, but they tell you about it, also they don't adopt out dogs who are extremely aggressive. So your question is answered. You aren't going to get a sick or aggressive dog. The only way a dog would bite is if yes it were badly abused but only if it felt threatened. Some dogs are fearful of other people when they are abused until they get used to them. We adopted an abused dog and it took him a while to get used to everything even the family, besides my sister and I, most dogs tend to like children.

• I had a bad experience the people at the shelter said the dog was kid friemdly but bit me and my 10 year old a couple of times. We spent 5 months getting it trained but it still had aggression issues and behavior problems it bit the veterinarian and myself again when I went to take it to the clinic. So I had to take it back to the shelter.Why do I get a thumbs down telling about my experience, Because it didnt work out? You guys have issues...

• I adopted a dog a long time ago. It was a Golden Retriever. He wasn't a good dog for us, though. He was really wild, and we didn't know how to train a big, wild dog. He ended up being untrained. He bit the mailman and tore up everything. We gave him to another family who was able to handle him.However, I have a good friend who adopted a dog that was fully trained. It was a beautiful German Shepherd. This dog didn't get wild, he wasn't aggressive, he knew how to walk on a leash, he knew how to go outside, he didn't bark all of the time and he knew really cool tricks. He could play dead and roll over. He was also an excellent guard dog. This dog was practically flawless. He had papers with the AKC and he even had titles. This dog would have cost in the tens of thousands. A well bred German Shepherd who seemed to have professional security training?

• I have 2 dogs and a cat that have been rescued. The dog is now 12 years old and when she was rescued from the animal shelter she was about 6 months old. She is a lab/Rottweiler mix. And what a great dog she has been. I have another dog I rescued about a year ago. She is a shepherd heinz variety mix. She was 4 months old at the time. She had been obviously abused when we got her, but we have spent time with her and she has really come around. She's smart and is learning so much! The cat I rescued about 4 years ago. He may have been about a year old. He is the only one I have had some trouble with. He was having some spraying issues. But the veterinarian has helped us out there and we are over that.

• Many pounds will conduct behavioral tests before placing the animals up for adoption (food aggression, animal aggression, man/woman/child aggression). Also, some pounded animals live at a foster home for a while before being put up for adoption, the pound will know more about the animals behavior in these cases since they have been watched by someone affiliated with the pound (ex: if they are house broken, how they get along with other family members). I would get in contact with the shelters in your area and see what kind of background they have on their animals and the tests they go though before being placed for adoption.I only own cats, and have 5 rescued cats, not a single problem with one of them but I know dogs can have more serious behavioral issues so I can understand your concern. Pounds often have puppies as well, which you could get and train yourself to avoid any issues from coming from a bad home.

• My current dog, a pug/beagle mix I adopted when she was about 6 months old, is a shelter dog. Great experience. Any good shelter will do health screenings and temperament testing before putting a dog up for adoption. My dog had her spay, had her papilloma warts cauterized, had her five-in-one and was tested for worms before I ever took her home, in addition to temperament testing. Most good shelters desperately want to adopt out a healthy, well-socialized dog.And if you go through a casual breeder, you can end up with health and behavioral problems as easily as you could if you went through a shelter. Just something to think about.

• see this question from mehttp://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Aj7xf0xpKkV46Pc7wM0.Q3jsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20100425202705AAJ9sI8Ted is a rescue Dog that was abused and only weighed 3.2 pounds when I got him. It has been two yeas and now he is the most lovable dog i've ever had. his in my lap now. he obeys commands goes for rides when i'm out in the field and is just generally a great dog (person). If half the people i now were as good as he the world would be a better place.

• we got one she was the best dog we have ever owned, she was a german shepherd cross collie, she was very loyal and i had the best time growing up with her, we took her camping one day and there was a lake there and she hated water,(would never go anywhere near it) but my mum went swimming in there, she ran out to my mum thinking she was drowning, thats how loyal she was. we got her from the pound when she was approx one yr old- she lived till she was 14 yrs old.

• Myth: Shelter pets are obviously not good pets, or else their original owners wouldn't have gotten rid of them If the main reason why a pet gets brought to rescue shelters was because they were a *bad* pet, there would be thousands of empty shelters across the country. Animals are brought to shelters for a large variety of reasons, some of which are... Their owners have passed away An irresponsible owner didn't get their pets spayed or neutered so they found themselves with a litter of babies that they could not keep or did not want The animal's owners were abusive to the animal, so the authorities have removed the pet from the harmful environment An animal was purchased or adopted by someone who did not take into consideration all of the responsibility that caring for that pet would entail. A good example of this would be someone who adopts a pet in an apartment complex that does not allow animals and then is subsequently forced to get rid of the pet. Myth: Animals from abusive homes will never be good pets because they have been mistreated for so longMost animals coming from abusive homes will typically make a full emotional recovery - with proper care and attention. In fact, many of them are so grateful to be rescued from their previous situation, they end up being more devoted and loyal than animals coming from non-abusive homes. Myth: You never know what you're getting with shelter petsAlthough its true that the medical history and temperament of an animal adopted from a rescue shelter are not always able to be tracked down, its really no different than an animal you might get from a pet store, unless you are buying a pedigree. Myth: All animals in rescue shelters are sickly or unhealthyOnce again, it certainly IS possible that a pet adopted from a rescue shelter may have medical problems, however the majority of the animals that are adopted from shelters are perfectly healthy, and just need a good home. If anything, you're more likely to get an honest answer about an animal's medical problems from a shelter volunteer - who is clearly there because they *care* about the animals - as opposed to a pet store owner or breeder that is only it in for the money. Additionally, animals in shelters are typically treated much better than animals in pet stores, which have often spent their short lives in cramped environments with little socializing and often, unsanitary conditions.To illustrate the point a little more clearly, when you go to a pet store, the animals are kept on display in tiny cages, often with multiple animals in one cage. When you go to a shelter, you will usually find much bigger animal pens, where the animals have some room to move Puppies are not housebroken! Most people work during the day and are gone for 8 hours or more at a time. Puppies need to go out on a regular schedule so they have frequent opportunities to eliminate where you want them to. Puppies can't wait for the boss to finish his meeting or the kids to come home from school. Adult dogs can "hold it" for longer periods and, often, a Rescue will have the dog housebroken before it is adoptedIntact Underwear. Puppies chew! You can count on at least 10 mismatched pairs of socks and a variety of unmentionables rendered to the "rag bag" before a puppy cuts all its teeth. Shoes? yes, puppies like to chew them also. Expect holes in your carpet (along with urine stains), backs and pages missing from books, stuffing exposed in couches, and at least one dead remote control. No matter how well you watch them, it will happen. This is a puppy's job! An adult dog can usually have the run of the house without destroying it. A Good Night's Sleep. A puppy can be very demanding at 2am and 4am and 6am. Puppies naturally miss their littermates and a stuffed animal is not a substitute for puppy pile with littermates in the dark of night. Prefer peace and quiet, an adult rescue dog usually sleeps through the night? Finish the Newspaper. With a puppy loose in the house, you will NOT be able to relax when you get home from work. Do you think kids ever really feed the dog? Clean up the messes? Walk in the pouring rain every hour to get the dog housetrained? If so, you probably have a severe case of denial. An adult dog will generally sit calmly beside you as your workday stress flows away and your blood pressure lowers as you pet it. 6. Easier Vet Trips. Puppies need a series of puppy shots and fecals, then a rabies shot, then surgery to spay/neuter them, and generally a trip or two to the emergency vet after eating something dangerous. (All of this usually adds up to substantially more than you paid for the dog!) When adopting an adult dog, the adoption fee should get you a dog with current vaccinations, this is altered, heartworm negative and on a preventative, at the minimum. What You See Is What You Get. How big will the dog get? What will its temperament be? Is it easily trained? What will its personality be like as an adult? Will it be hyperactive? Adult dogs are, to steal a term from Internet lingo, WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get.) All of your questions are easily answered, because the dog is already an adult. You can pick large or small; active or couch potato; goofy or brilliant; sassy or sweet. Further, the rescuer and/or foster homes can help guide you in choosing just the right match for you. (Rescues are FULL of puppies who became the wrong match as they got older!)Unscarred Children (and Adults). If a puppy does not teeth on your possesions, it will teeth on you and your children. Rescuers often get calls from panicked parents sure their dog is about to seriously injure their children. It usually turns out the puppy is just doing what puppies do, i.e., mouth or nip. Parents, too emotional to see the difference, just want to get rid of the dog. A growing puppy is going to put anything and everything in their mouth. It must be taught bite inhibition. As the puppy grows, the puppy's jaws become stronger and its teeth are replaced by its adult teeth. The mouthing and nipping it did as a puppy now can have serious consequences. Far better to get an adult dog that has "been there, done that, moved on."9. Matchmaker Make Me A Match. Puppy love is emotionally appealing. They are so cute! But, in reality, cute is not a sufficient reason to get a pet, a pet that will probably live 15+ years. It may be cute, but cute can grow up to be hyperactive. It may be not want to share your home with anyone else, including your spouse, children, or other animals. It may want to be a couch potato, when the main reason you got the dog was to run with you every day. Pet/owner mis-matches are the MAIN REASONS owners "give-up" their pets. 60% of the animals in shelters nationwide are there for this reason. Good rescuers extensively evaluate of dogs and applicants to insure both will be happy with one another until death do them part Instant Companion. With an adult dog, you have a dog that can go everywhere and do anything with you NOW. You don't have to wait until the puppy grows up and hope it will like to do what you to do with it. With an adult rescue, you select the dog most compatible with you. You can find one that travels well, loves to play with your friends' dogs, has excellent house manners, etc. You can come home after a long day's work and spend your time on a relaxing walk, ride, or swim with your new best friend (rather than cleaning up after a small puppy.)

• You WILL have behavior problems in all liklihood. But that just comes with the territory. It may be more work but getting a dog from the shelter is the RIGHT thing to do. Purebreeds are always in demand, get a dog that needs you. Anways after two weeks things get a little better ... roughly the amount of time it takes to get a dog housebroken and learn a few commands with consistency.

• I got a pitbull/lab/whippet mix from the pound, and he is the best dog ever! He's wicked smart and he knows most his commands in english, french and handsignals. He does agility, and is very friendly. He loves to go greet anyone with excitment. He loves hiking too. When I go camping, he sleeps in the tent with me, and just cuddles right up next to me, with his head on my pillow. Now my Chihuahua, who is NOT from the pound, is a totally different story. Sometimes I wish the pitbull mix would be a little less friendly with her and put her in her place. And remember, rescueing from the pound is way better because, you get a great dog, who will love you and at the same time you're saving a life! It's not like the animals themselves cose to go to the pound, its bad people in their pasts, who's fault it is. I wouldn't ever buy a purebred, I'd way rather rescue. I did not buy the chihuahua, A reletive had her, and gave her to me. She had had 5 homes in the first 4-6 months of her life, I wanted her to have a safe, steady home where she wouldn't be moved around or end up in a shelter.

• It all depends on the dog you get. If you don't want a dog with health and behavioral problems then be sure to make that clear to the shelter staff. Make sure to not just pick out a dog based on it's cuteness. If you get a chance buy Cesar Millan:Mastering Leadership. He has a section on how to pick out the perfect shelter dog. http://www.amazon.com/Cesar-Millans-Mastering-Leadership-Volumes/dp/B001C4N5MI

• I adopted a puppy from the shelter about two months ago. She's a chihuahua mix. I don't have many problems with her she's just like any other puppy. The only thing I had to work on with her was socializing, she was a bit scared of other people and dogs but i walk her often and make sure she interacts with others. Other than that she's very smart and has learned four tricks already and shes barely going to be four months. I couldn't picture my life with out her anymore. I'd say go for it, it's very rewarding. My best advice is to crate train them while your away and at night to minimize problems (it's a bit of a hassle the first month but then it works great). And if you're worried about behavioral problems and such get a puppy they are easier to train.

• Rescue dogs are great! I have had 2, 1 was a dalmatian, 2 years old and she did not have any health or behavioral problems. And the 2nd one in which I have had for 3 1/2 years is a Catahoula mix and has no health problems (she was 7 months old when we got her). She was a little timid because she had been abused but she came right out of it. Now my 2 year old crawls all over her and they play all the time. You just have to socialize them to other dogs, people, and cats. Either way you will need to work with your dog, if you get one from a breeder you will have to potty train it and if you get one from a rescue you may or may not have to train them. Both of mine came already potty trained. As far as health goes I believe that rescue dogs can be more healthy because full breed dogs are usually over-breed and therefore have genetic problems. Also usually rescues have already had the animals spayed/neutered, all shots, and on flea and heartworm meds. So all you pay is for the services that have already been done for the dogs health. If you were to buy one from a breeder you would have to buy the dog and then spend over 200 bucks in vet fees for all of the services. I know this sounds crazy but honestly I think rescue dogs are always more "thankful" and therefore better dogs because of what they have been through! Also, if you want a certain breed, look on the internet for breed specific rescues in your area. There are alot of rescues that only rescue labs, boston terriers, etc