How can I get my dog to like me more?

I have a 2 year old dog named Milo. He's very sweet sometimes but other times he's unbelieably annoying and just goes around clawing and biting me! How do i get him to be better behaved and more affectionate towards me?

I have a 2 year old dog named Milo. He's very sweet sometimes but other times he's unbelieably annoying and just goes around clawing and biting me! How do i get him to be better behaved and more affectionate towards me?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How can I get my dog to like me more?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I get my dog to like me more?

How can I get my dog to like me more? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have a 2 year old dog named Milo. He's very sweet sometimes but other times he's unbelieably annoying and just goes around clawing and biting me! How do i get him to be better behaved and more affectionate towards me?

How can I get my dog to like me more? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Ignore your dog when he is nippy and overanxious in some way. However you can, in a low voice serious but firm tone (this is important! no high pitch voices here and no mix messages-no touch!) tell him "STOP!" then, move away. Your body language have to show assertiveness and authority. ONLY give your dog praise, petting and attention when he is behaving the way you want him to, when he is calm, and when YOU are in control of the situation. Groom your dog regularly, that helps with bonding and NEVER give your dog a treat when he is doing something you do not like!. NEVER hit your dog (fear does not induce affection), no need to shout at him either ! Dogs are animals of social hierarchical organization. If your dog does not see you as the one in charge, he will not respect you and will be less likely to be affectionate; he may even behave aggressively towards you. Wait until you've establish who's the boss to do a lot of petting, for now keep it short, lots of praise and high pitch happy voices when he is being a good boy, low growling voice when he is misbehaving, regular grooming, have treats on your pockets that you ONLY give him when he is doing what you want. You can increase petting, praising and even cuddles when you've established TOP DOG status. For now be firm, be fair and be consistent and your dog will turn around. Good luck,Monik32.

• It sounds like doing some obedience training is your best bet. Also, try to figure out why the dog is biting. Is he bored or scared or is there another reason? I think if you start working on some simple training with him he'll start to see you as more of his pack leader and start to respect you more. I've been working on this with my new puppy.. here is a website I thought was helpful:http://www.ehow.com/how_18746_stop-puppy-biting.html

• Obedience training would have prevented many of these problems and can help solve the bad behaviors that exist. Many people think that obedience training is something that is done to a dog to make it perform some artificial activity on command. But if we turn the words around, we'll be closer to a real definition: Obedience training is to train dogs to be obedient, to obey anything and everything they're told to do. It covers a wide range of lessons a dog can learn, including tricks, family manners, show ring exercises, and skills demonstrations. Sniffing dogs, service dogs for handicapped owners, search and rescue dogs, sled and carting dogs, hunting dogs -- all carry their obedience training to the highest degree. They have been trained to obey an unusual set of commands that increase their value as helpers to man.Training tips here, http://moourl.com/osndk