What type of dog is most compatable for us?

My boyfriend and I are wanting to buy a dog. We both like larger dogs but we can't seem to agree on which one to have! He wants a Great Dane. I myself, being 4'11", want something the size of a pit bull. We want something with short hair, energy and on…

My boyfriend and I are wanting to buy a dog. We both like larger dogs but we can't seem to agree on which one to have! He wants a Great Dane. I myself, being 4'11", want something the size of a pit bull. We want something with short hair, energy and on…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What type of dog is most compatable for us?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What type of dog is most compatable for us?

What type of dog is most compatable for us? Dogs Training Discussions
      My boyfriend and I are wanting to buy a dog. We both like larger dogs but we can't seem to agree on which one to have! He wants a Great Dane. I myself, being 4'11", want something the size of a pit bull. We want something with short hair, energy and on the medium large side of the "doggy spectrum". Any suggestions?My bf and I are gonna go to a shelter tomorrow to look for a dog! :]

What type of dog is most compatable for us? Dogs Training Discussions
    • GOLDEN RETRIEVER, except the long hair. So i would recomend a lab or pointer! THAT DOG IS SO ENERGETIC! i have a great dane and you really have to be careful if you live in a colder climate becuz her tail will litterally wip you. Our Great Dane is way to big for the house and when she's in it she can easily access everything. so take that into thought. Pointer and labs are average size dogs that have the energy of a puppy until they get older.

• Get a shelter muttThey are temperment tested, inexpensive and come with lots of "extras".They have all types, sizes, shapes, hair coats, colors, patterns, everything you could want.And your saving a life too.Can't beat that.

• great danes are actually couch potatos where as pit bulls are more dominating and harder to controll....try something more the size of a pit bull with the attitude of a great dane that would be best.........

• I would suggest you hit the library and look over the dog breed books to begin with. There is a lot more to consider besides size. And do you have the room and yard for a larger dog to get good exercise, fenced yard? Each breed has its temperament.A boxer might suit both of you. Do your research first though. And please consider a breed rescue!!

• I suggest a chow however they are somewhat shaggy but they are unbeatable for home security reasons, gentle, brainy, and devoted to their 'folks' I would never consider a pit bulldog they are destruction on the loose if agitated and even when unprovoked there is always a danger of them attacking.

• one remember a dog is like a kid be sure yall one on ok, well there is a website that helps what type of dog best fits your but ill give that to you in a sec, and two ill give you some breeds that i can think of that great in so many ways:Great Danes Greman ShephardBlack Lab Beagal Afgan Hound -Long HAIr Pointer sorry i cant find the site i told you but if you just yahoo it , ill bet youll find a great dog of your type.

• Since both of you like medium to large dogs and can't agree on settling for the same breed. Why don't you decide on a dog wherein both of you don't expect to have but have that "energy" for your choice of dogs.

• well labrador retrivers are good dogs, boxers, basically any kind of working dog..like dalamation, border collie..all of the working dogs are high energy, medium sized, and most have short hair..if i were you i would go on to www.akc.org and then look under the working group or the herding group..you should find something you like there...good luck..and if not there are a lot of good dogs in the humane society

• A female Rottweiler. They are shorthaired, and a female will run 90-100 lbs. That sounds big, but they truly are "gentle giants" and, provided you give your rottie proper training (DO NOT LEAVE THEM CHAINED UP), they are EXTREMELY gentle. I have literally left a three-year-old and five-year-old together with my Rott, and when I returned from a task on the other side of the yard, she was laying on her back, happily getting her belly rubbed, foot going full-speed. On the other hand, I'd rather walk barefoot over a bed of nails than leave the kids I babysit alone with my mother's Chihuahua - I'd come back and find one bleeding and missing a substantial amount of skin.Don't believe the media hype - while Rotts do make excellent police and guard dogs, the "killer dogs" you hear about in the news are often abused, neglected, or improperly trained. Basic housetraining - sit, stay, heel, come, lay down - is perfectly fine for a Rott. They are fiercely loyal and will protect your home instinctively, though they'll hardly rip an intruder limb from limb unless trained to do so. Do, however, go to a breeder who guarantees good temperament.Just know that they love to play and are very social, so you want to take them on lots of walks to meet other people and dogs, and from the very earliest chance you get, make sure you teach them not to nip. What is a harmless, "cute" nip when they are puppies, could cost you a couple of fingers when they're full-grown if they're not gently but firmly trained out of it. They're just THAT BIG. Don't EVER, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, hit a rott, however. A very stern "Kyra, no! No bite!" works much better, and you don't run the risk that the animal will turn on you because of pain or fear.Rotties are highly intelligent - when working with Kyra, all I have to do is snap my fingers, say "Kyra - here!" and point to my side, and bam - she's THERE.Just one word of caution: if you decide to get a rottie, keep in mind that you will not choose your dog. Your dog will choose you. Kyra lives with my mother (I'm in college and therefore cannot have a dog), but there is absolutely no doubt in anyone's mind that she's my dog. Or rather, I'm her human. She's never growled or nipped at my mum (in fact, I don't think she's ever growled or nipped at *anybody,* except some weird guy who tried to get in the house when I was home alone last year), but she's unruly when I'm not home. My mum could *never* take Kyra out in the yard without a leash - she'd run away. Me? I take her out, take off the leash, and let her romp. She knows that when I want her, I'll call her. Let the dog pick you, and you'll have an *incredible* lifelong bond with the animal. They're amazing animals!

• A tad bit smaller, but if you want a high energy dog, and with medium length fur, and around 20 inches at the shoulders is the Australian Shepperd. I have one, and he is THE BEST DOG I have ever met. I have known many...rottweilers, dalmations, labs, golden retrivers, border collies, pugs, mutts, pit bulls, and great pyrenesse.Some aussies can be hyper, but if an aussie is hyper, then border collies (similar dogs) are manic!They are VERY smart and loyal, and have a reserved, never agressive, attitude toward strangers. They are herding dogs, and have been bred to be able to, say, track down a wonded sheep, miles from his master, and be able to lead back to the flock as quickly and easily as possible. And aussies are more than capable! They do best with a "job", be it herding, agility, therapy dogs, or obedience.Aussies are great, but they are not for everyone, and I would find the dog with the best temperment for you and your boyfrind, before considering looks. Best of luck!And remember, smart, medium height and fur, with lots of beautiful colors (blue merle (blue with gray and black splotches) and black bi (black and white) black tri (black, white, and tan) as well as red merles, red bi's and red tri's.