What can I do to get the puppy to stop chewing on things?

Recently, my room-mate got a pitbull puppy. She's about 6 weeks old, and she's starting to chew on everything in sight. We've been putting everything up high, but she still finds stuff to chew on. What could I/we possibly do to get her to stop chewing on…

Recently, my room-mate got a pitbull puppy. She's about 6 weeks old, and she's starting to chew on everything in sight. We've been putting everything up high, but she still finds stuff to chew on. What could I/we possibly do to get her to stop chewing on…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What can I do to get the puppy to stop chewing on things?...

• What can I do to get the puppy to stop chewing on things?

What can I do to get the puppy to stop chewing on things? Dogs Training Discussions
      Recently, my room-mate got a pitbull puppy. She's about 6 weeks old, and she's starting to chew on everything in sight. We've been putting everything up high, but she still finds stuff to chew on. What could I/we possibly do to get her to stop chewing on things?!The only reason we have her now is because the mother stopped feeding all the pups in the litter, and the people couldn't keep the pups anymore.

What can I do to get the puppy to stop chewing on things? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Just get her lots of chew toys and make it very clear what it's okay to chew on and what isn't. Also, you shouldnt have that dog for at least another 2 weeks. Take it back to the BYB you got it from for another 2 weeks

• You're not gonna be able to get him to stop chewing. You just have to replace whatever he's chewing on with a toy. For example, if he starts to chew on your sofa, say no pretty loud, maybe clap your hands too and get his attention on a toy to chew on and when he chews his toy praise him. Something good to get puppy's is a kong, you can put peanut butter in the middle then put it in the freezer. The cold rubber helps their teeth out a lot.

• To stop a puppy from chewing, you give them their own thing they can chew on.Buy a few kong toys fill with peanut butter, puppy food or what ever the puppy likes.Keep all items up and out of reach of little teeth, and items won't be destroyed.When he does start to chew on things not his, sternly tell NO and remove from him and give him his kong.

• Give her something to chew on like a rawhide bone. She has a tremendous amount of energy at her age. There is a spray that you can buy to stop dogs from chewing on things. My son got a Dingo puppy and boy what that dog destructive. My son sprayed down everything they didn't want chewed up and it worked. I can't remember what it is called.. thin it's Apple something. Bitter Apple maybe.Dogs hate it. They wont go near it. It's non toxic. It wont hurt your items or furniture.My son sprayed a tiny bit on his finger and barely touched the tip of his tongue to it. His mouth started foaming and he said that the taste was hideous. He had to brush his teeth 5 times to get rid of the taste. His dog Roxy never ever chewed up their things again.All pet stores carry it. Just ask them about it because I honestly don't remember the name.I hope this helps.

• Until she's 10 or 12 weeks old, all you can do really is just take it away and redirect her to a chew toy (rawhides and bully sticks and good). As she gets older, you can start correcting her and redirecting. Start obedience training now, and include "drop" and "leave it" commands. When she's old enough, you can to stop taking things from her, and instead make her surrender them to you.Problem is, her senses are just starting to develop, and puppies discover their world through smell and taste. They only have two questions about everything they see: what does it smell like, and will it fit in my mouth."Chewing is a "self-reinforcing" behavior. The pleasure they get from the bite, from the taste and texture, the sound it makes when they rip it into shreds, is all the reward they need to ensure they will do it again. When you're around, you remind them not to chew your shoes, but when you're gone they'll go right back to it, cause of all that previous reinforcement. That's why it's nearly impossible to stop chewing through training. Instead, you have to crate her while you're gone, until she matures enough to stop doing it.Striking a dog is an aggressive act; a powerful breed like you have there is likely to learn aggression from that. Use verbal corrections, and insist on compliance. Stand firm and wait for her to decide to comply with your request; if you physically force her, the mind can remain defiant. Don't let her see you angry or frustrated, to a dog that just represents excitement and she won't take you seriously. You can intimidate a dog into obedience, but it will be obedient out of fear, and a fearful animal is unpredictable. Be firm, but calm, she will respect your authority.