What can I use to stop my puppy from chewing on the carpet and furniture?

I have a 4.5 month old springer spaniel/collie mix who is absoutely adorable and loveable, except for the fact that she chews on the furniture and the carpet when I am gone. I feel bad constantly putting her in her cage, but I always fear what I am…

I have a 4.5 month old springer spaniel/collie mix who is absoutely adorable and loveable, except for the fact that she chews on the furniture and the carpet when I am gone. I feel bad constantly putting her in her cage, but I always fear what I am…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What can I use to stop my puppy from chewing on the carpet and furniture?...

• What can I use to stop my puppy from chewing on the carpet and furniture?

What can I use to stop my puppy from chewing on the carpet and furniture? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have a 4.5 month old springer spaniel/collie mix who is absoutely adorable and loveable, except for the fact that she chews on the furniture and the carpet when I am gone. I feel bad constantly putting her in her cage, but I always fear what I am going to find when I come home. She is always chewing on the same spots, what can I use to stop her from this behavior?

What can I use to stop my puppy from chewing on the carpet and furniture? Dogs Training Discussions
    • There is a spray that keeps pets away from target areas ("Pet Away" or something). I have found that my dog chews when she is lonely, so I bought her lots of stuffed animals to chew on. She loves Barney (the big purple dinosaur) - although it traumatizes the neighbor boy. She also has rawhide chews and bones to keep her busy.

• petco has this stuff called fooey it tastes horrible very badly its not harmful for them at all you can spray it on stuff like plants carpet and furniture they get that taste and won't touch it again ever. I suggest you hold your breath when doing this when you spray so when you breath in you don't get it in your nasal passage you'll find out why they won't touch things tastes very bitter and sharp ;)

• You really can't stop a puppy who's teething, whose gums hurt and who is lonely and bored when you're gone, from chewing. You need to put her in her crate when you're gone, and when you're home make sure she has lots of toys to chew on, take her for walks a couple of times a day, play with her, definitely spend a little time each training her. If she always chews the same spots, you can try spraying with Bitter Apple - it works for some dogs.You need to start training this puppy right now, a bit at a time, with lots of patience. Make sure she gets lots of exercise, as well as some mental stimulation - do a little obedience with her at home, play ball, tech her to catch a frisbee. If she's physically and mentally stimulated, she'll be ok in her crate when you have to be gone and much better behaved when you are home.

• It's very hard to break a dog of this habit. It could be caused by multitudes of problems. Sometimes just giving it enough chew toys and bones to use is enough. Other times, you just have to work on it every day, little by little. If you have the space, you could put your dog in a room like a laundry room while you're gone, and that way there isn't any furniture to chew up. That's what I do with my cat. They still have room and they're not enclosed, but they are limited from chewing. If the problem persists, ask your veterinarian.

• there is a spray that is nasty in taste for animals and its is perfectly harmless use that after some time it will stop if it doesnt then you can go to a walamrt and buy these collars that will keep ur dogs away from off limit areas in the home also its a puppy so go wasy on it

• I LOVE this question. It's one of the most common problems puppy owners have, and it's easy to solve - hooray!First off, congrats on your new little girl. Chewing -- you probably know this, but all dogs chew, especially puppies. Puppies are teething and teething hurts, and itches. The trick is teaching her what's okay and what's not.We once had a puppy (a Belgian Shepherd Dog - sharp teeth, powerful jaws) we adored, but nicknamed "Ms. PacMan" because she was constantly chewing, and not always things we were ready to part with. A vet recommended this, and it's worked for many puppies, including her: Go to the thrift store or 99-cent store and load up on old washcloths. Wash them, rinse thoroughly, then soak in water. Wring out, tie a knot in the middle, and freeze.Give them to your puppy to chew. When one thaws out, rinse, wring, refreeze. When you catch her chewing something she shouldn't, interrupt her with a sharp sound (like "No!" or "Uh-uh!"), and replace whatever she's chewing on with a toy or washcloth.There are bitter apple sprays available in pet stores that can be sprayed on furniture and other things that you don't want her to chew on, and they've worked for us. At 4.5 months, she isn't ready to have free run of the house (she hasn't finished basic obedience training yet, I'm sure, at that age). She's still a baby. She can be in the crate for a few hours, then needs to come out, relieve herself, and play a bit. Hang in there - if you give her plenty of her own stuff to chew, some exercise, and a bit of training, you'll get past this. Genie (our beloved, lamented Mama Dog who was Ms. PacMan) got to a point where she divided the world into "dog stuff" and "human stuff" and didn't bother our things. Our current adult dog is to that point, and we're working on getting our current puppy up to speed. Good luck!

• Ha ha! That's funny! Right before I read your question I had JUST yelled at the 6 month old Beagle / Springer Spaniel that I am fostering because she was chewing on the carpet!!! She also chews on the couch too!I wish I could help but I don't know either. I do crate her as well as the Dalmatian mix (not a foster) that we have while we're at work. You shouldn't feel guilty about crating them. It's not a bad thing.

• go to a pet store and get some miracle pet spray (the non-toxic kind) and spray it on anything your puppy chews on. the non-toxic stuff is totally safe, how it works is they put a really bad taste that your puppy won't like and that makes them stop chewing on it.

• Lots and lots of chew toys....my dog when he was younger of course, tore up EVERYTHING in my apartment. From my shoes, to my cell phone! I eventually went out and bought him lots of chew toys like rawhides. Did the trick perfectly.