Not sure how much to let a new puppy and existing dog work things out?

I have a 3 yr old boston terrier and we just got a 8 wk pitbull puppy. I am not sure when to let them work out stealing of toys, etc and when to step in. I have never heard either of them cry but i dont like them biting at each other either.

I have a 3 yr old boston terrier and we just got a 8 wk pitbull puppy. I am not sure when to let them work out stealing of toys, etc and when to step in. I have never heard either of them cry but i dont like them biting at each other either....
    Dogs Training Discussions : Not sure how much to let a new puppy and existing dog work things out?...

• Not sure how much to let a new puppy and existing dog work things out?

Not sure how much to let a new puppy and existing dog work things out? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have a 3 yr old boston terrier and we just got a 8 wk pitbull puppy. I am not sure when to let them work out stealing of toys, etc and when to step in. I have never heard either of them cry but i dont like them biting at each other either.

Not sure how much to let a new puppy and existing dog work things out? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Are they truely "working it out" or are they playing. Keep in mind when dogs play it is generally one of two things: play fighting, or play hunting, both of which can seem intimidating to people who are new with canine behavior. If neither of them are crying, I'd say they're doing absolutely fine. YOU step in when there is crying involved, and the one causing the crying isn't backing off. Dogs will be dogs, and it's important they learn to communicate with eachother.

• As long as no one is yelping in pain or cowaring in fear, then no harm no foul - it's all in fun. They're just being dogs. Obviously, if it gets vicious and someone is injured, then you'll need to step in. In the meantime, let them play.