How much can I exercise a puppy?

We're planning on getting a puppy at about 2 months old and I was wondering ow much exercise it needs / I can give it at that age and though puppy hood (between 2-12months) I think. Is there a maximum? If I exercise it too much will it have joint…

We're planning on getting a puppy at about 2 months old and I was wondering ow much exercise it needs / I can give it at that age and though puppy hood (between 2-12months) I think. Is there a maximum? If I exercise it too much will it have joint…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How much can I exercise a puppy?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How much can I exercise a puppy?

How much can I exercise a puppy? Dogs Training Discussions
      We're planning on getting a puppy at about 2 months old and I was wondering ow much exercise it needs / I can give it at that age and though puppy hood (between 2-12months) I think. Is there a maximum? If I exercise it too much will it have joint problems later in life? Please let me know as much as possible! Thank you :]The puppy would probably be a German shepherd mix probably with either lab or doberman or some other large breed dog.

How much can I exercise a puppy? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Growth plates close at about 14 months of age with most dogs so prevent yourself from making your dog jump anything higher than the dogs wrist. As for exercise you do what the dog can do or a little less. If you are going to let him run have him on a padded surface or grass. Some people believe you should prevent all running and even no stairs. I am sure normal activity will be fine, dogs like to run and jump let them be puppies as for stairs teach them to come down in a controlled manner. If you are doing a dog sport like agility focus more on foundation skills and shadow handling and when the dog reaches 14 months old then you can really get involved with the equipment. I have a pup and he does things like the table or the tunnels and all jumps are at 4 inches or less. He has been over the contacts just to see if he has any fear but not at speed and repetitively.

• Really depends on the dog. Golden retriever size+ should have a maximum of one longish walk a day, at least until they are one year old. Big dogs like this grow very quickly, so over exercise can cause a variety of joint problems in later life. One walk a day is still essential, it mainly depends on the length, and how much running around they do.As for smaller dogs, it really doesn't matter, so long as you don't completely overdue it. They too should have one walk everyday, but its not life threatening if you miss a day, or accidentally take it for two.Finally, try to avoid letting them run on concrete. Walking is perfectly ok, but running on hard ground can increase the pressure on their legs.