How do i train my puppy to not be scared of cars while walking?

I just got a 8 - 9 week old pit-bull mix puppy and he's scared to death of cars while walking on a leash. When cars aren't present, he's fine. He doesn't pull, stays at my side, and listens well. As soon as a car comes into view he will stop and lower…

I just got a 8 - 9 week old pit-bull mix puppy and he's scared to death of cars while walking on a leash. When cars aren't present, he's fine. He doesn't pull, stays at my side, and listens well. As soon as a car comes into view he will stop and lower…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do i train my puppy to not be scared of cars while walking?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do i train my puppy to not be scared of cars while walking?

How do i train my puppy to not be scared of cars while walking? Dogs Training Discussions
      I just got a 8 - 9 week old pit-bull mix puppy and he's scared to death of cars while walking on a leash. When cars aren't present, he's fine. He doesn't pull, stays at my side, and listens well. As soon as a car comes into view he will stop and lower his head and try to hide behind me. I've tried several different methods to calm him and reasure him that everything's ok. I've walked him around my car while it's off and while it's on and he's fine with both. I've walked him through parking lots and doesn't seem to fond of that. While walking i've tried the "drag" method, it works but i don't feel to good about it. I've tried to have him stop, bring him to full attention and watch the car go by to show him there's nothing wrong, and then giving praise, and that seemed to work ok. Is he too young to be training like this?? Any suggestions would be helpful, because i lead an active life and got a dog for some company during those activities. Thanks

How do i train my puppy to not be scared of cars while walking? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Tell her it is alright over and over, try that it may work.My dog is afraid of the vacume and she is six months old, I just tell her it alright and she starts to feel a little bit better.

• I wouldn't worry about it. At least you know that if they ever run away from home, they will avoid traffic and not get run over. More than likely he is too young for that type of training. What we do with our Shepherds is go off the the side of the road and stop while cars are going buy. You should just do that, and show him the proper way of avoiding the cars instead of cowering. But like I said, you are better off that he's afraid of cars, because it will save his life later.

• When you see a car coming stay calm make puppy sit and keep leash to just behind the ears. Do not let him put his head down you must make him face his fears. You do not want a fearful pit bull that can be so dangerous. make him sit there with his head up until car passes. Once he gets a little calmer then keep walking forward is always better than standing still start to run or jog when car is coming then he will be to busy trying to keep up that car will will pass with no attention given from him. Do not talk to him during these exercises as it could be sending mixed signals he needs to see you as strong and confidant and he will follow your lead. Good Luck. P.S. be sure to keep collar up as far as it will go on head/behind ears to keep control of his head going up down or even side to side. a confidant dog always walks with head up and ears forward.