How do i stop my puppy from biting?

I just got a new golden retriever puppy about a week ago and she is about 9 weeks old and wont stop biting mme and nipping. Its starting to become a problem becausse she is breaking skin and hurting people. She is also chewing alot of the furniture and…

I just got a new golden retriever puppy about a week ago and she is about 9 weeks old and wont stop biting mme and nipping. Its starting to become a problem becausse she is breaking skin and hurting people. She is also chewing alot of the furniture and…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do i stop my puppy from biting?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How do i stop my puppy from biting?

How do i stop my puppy from biting? Dogs Training Discussions
      I just got a new golden retriever puppy about a week ago and she is about 9 weeks old and wont stop biting mme and nipping. Its starting to become a problem becausse she is breaking skin and hurting people. She is also chewing alot of the furniture and my cloths any ideas how to make her stop?

How do i stop my puppy from biting? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Have you considered *training*? If you have no idea how to train the pup then find a good puppy obedience class. Seriously, the obedience classes will teach YOU how to teach your dog.Teaching the: Sit. Stay. Down. Off. Leave it. Come. That is all you really need to have a trained dog. These commands will be an end to everything you are complaining about but the pup has to be taught.You also need to puppy proof your house. Put everything out of it's reach. Do not expect the puppy to know the remote is not something he can chew on. Until he is trained, start taking steps to deter him from grabbing what he should not.I am assuming he has had his full round of shots? Because if he hasn't, you should not be taking him anywhere that another dog has probably been except to the vet.He needs to be exercised physically and mentally. Dogs (pups) are not ornaments to decorate your house neither are they born knowing what is acceptable and what isn't. Some very good chews are a must. Also, playing with the pup. Do NOT use any part of your body. No playing using your hands. Use a tug toy. Does he like to run for a ball? If he does, this is excellent exercise. Just walking the pup is not nearly enough.So I suggest:~1) Enrolling in puppy obedience classes~2) Make an effort to play with the pup with toys and/or ball~3) Provide him with interesting chew toys

• First, regarding the biting:Dogs don't have hands, so they use their mouths instead.It's a natural behavior, but you need to teach her not to do that now; when she gets big it'll more than just a minor annoyance.Your objective is to teach her: 1> she should not put her teeth on people, and 2> when she does, she must never but never bite down.When she puts her teeth on you, shout "ouch" and pull back, stop playing with her for a couple or three seconds. You're teaching her not to bite down on people. When mouths you gently afterward, give her a little bit of praise (just a little). Soon you'll stop praising her for not biting down.When she bites down on you, give her a tap on the snout with your fingers and say "NO" forcefully. If she doesn't back off and act surprised and/or a little offended, you didn't tap her hard enough. IMPORTANT: you don't have to inflict pain -- the point here is to get her attention. If she keeps it up after that, hold her mouth closed for a couple seconds. Again, don't hurt her; its not necessary and she might end up fearing you instead of respecting you. She'll get the idea soon enough.Next the chewing stuff:Dogs experience the world through their mouths and noses -- its as important to them as eyesight is to you. She grow out of that but meanwhile, make sure she has plenty of her own stuff to play with, keep a sharp eye on her and take away whatever she shouldn't have.