What's the best dog combination when adding another puppy to the family?

I have two dogs. A female lab who's 3 years old and a male Cocker Spaniel mix who's 2 years old. We are adding another puppy to the household and I was wondering if another female would be bad? My lab is the alpha dog. My cocker spaniel isn't dog…

I have two dogs. A female lab who's 3 years old and a male Cocker Spaniel mix who's 2 years old. We are adding another puppy to the household and I was wondering if another female would be bad? My lab is the alpha dog. My cocker spaniel isn't dog…...
    General Dog Discussions : What's the best dog combination when adding another puppy to the family?...

• What's the best dog combination when adding another puppy to the family?

What's the best dog combination when adding another puppy to the family? General Dog Discussions
      I have two dogs. A female lab who's 3 years old and a male Cocker Spaniel mix who's 2 years old. We are adding another puppy to the household and I was wondering if another female would be bad? My lab is the alpha dog. My cocker spaniel isn't dog aggressive and the new puppy would be a small breed? Does it matter what gender we get?

What's the best dog combination when adding another puppy to the family? General Dog Discussions
    • Since the Lab is Alpha, the gender of the new dog probably won't be an issue. Try to get a puppy that is less likely to turn into the Alpha or want to be alpha. The size of the dog doesn't matter. You'll want to get a puppy that tends to hang back as opposed to the first puppy that comes running to you, particularly if there are several puppies in the litter. The first puppy that comes running to you is more likely to challenge the Lab for dominance.

• gender is probably less important than doing proper introductions with the newcomer. make sure both resident dogs have the opportunity to interact independently and together with the prospective new puppy on neutral territory before bringing the puppy home. once you have the new puppy at home, be sure to let the dogs figure out the hierarchy without much (if any) interference from you.

• A male would be better, just make sure you get him fixed...Male's are better because female dogs tend to be like cats.. Not saying that your lab is like that..Female's just don't come around much..And i suggest:Pug:Cute, Cuddly and friendly (Proud pug owner)Yorkshire Terrier:Awesome, Cute and friendlyChihuahua:Funny, Cute and friendly(Babysat one once )But that's my opinion..hope i helped..Signed,DogPerson12