How to get cats and dogs to get along?

I have two calico female cats. And a 5 month old puppy that weighs around 25 pounds. One cat is more dominant to the dog than the other. And whenever the dog wants to play the cat swats and hisses at the dog. The female dogs prey drive isn't so high that…

I have two calico female cats. And a 5 month old puppy that weighs around 25 pounds. One cat is more dominant to the dog than the other. And whenever the dog wants to play the cat swats and hisses at the dog. The female dogs prey drive isn't so high that…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to get cats and dogs to get along?...

• How to get cats and dogs to get along?

How to get cats and dogs to get along? General Dog Discussions
      I have two calico female cats. And a 5 month old puppy that weighs around 25 pounds. One cat is more dominant to the dog than the other. And whenever the dog wants to play the cat swats and hisses at the dog. The female dogs prey drive isn't so high that she wants to kill the cats. We are crate training our dog. We just want the pets to get along. Its been a month.

How to get cats and dogs to get along? General Dog Discussions
    • Sounds like everything is going fine ;) You are actually in the best situation with the cats being in the home first and being older then dog. It will allow the dog to understand it's place in the peckign order. If you are concerned about kitty swatting and hissing then don't be. the cat is simply saying "no i amin control and you can't do that to me" and doggy will easily understand that (though it may take one good swat lol). Seriously it doesn't sound like you are having serious problems at allWe got a puppy when my cats were 7. In the beggining there were some swats and hissing but puppy quickly came to understand that cats were on top of the household pecking order. Nowadays Dog is 9 and cats 16 and definitly get along fine and dandy. One of the cats will "play" with dog and allow the dog to pin her down while he snuffles her; the whoel time she is yowling and appears to be throwing a fit but we know she isn't seriosu because she could easily get up or not let him pin her lol. The other cat will lightly swat at dog if dog gets to close; though sometimes they sniff eachother and rub on eachother :)I hope that comforts you a bit about your situation :) My pets really get along great (one cat and the dogsleeping in same bed with me regularly) so i would only be concerned if things suddenly got worse at your house or something.