How can I train my Maltese 3 year dog to behave?

My little 9 pound Maltese is a very sweet lovable intelligent dog EXCEPT while walking her. She barks and jumps at every person or dog that walks by us. I have tried scolding her, straying her with bottle of water, and shacking coins in a can at her. …

My little 9 pound Maltese is a very sweet lovable intelligent dog EXCEPT while walking her. She barks and jumps at every person or dog that walks by us. I have tried scolding her, straying her with bottle of water, and shacking coins in a can at her. …...
    General Dog Discussions : How can I train my Maltese 3 year dog to behave?...

• How can I train my Maltese 3 year dog to behave?

How can I train my Maltese 3 year dog to behave? General Dog Discussions
      My little 9 pound Maltese is a very sweet lovable intelligent dog EXCEPT while walking her. She barks and jumps at every person or dog that walks by us. I have tried scolding her, straying her with bottle of water, and shacking coins in a can at her. Nothing works. We have friends that we visit that have dogs and she is fine with that. Also friends come over with their dogs, no problem. Please do not say stop walking her. Any suggestions?

How can I train my Maltese 3 year dog to behave? General Dog Discussions
    • Of course you can! Start by teaching a few commands like sit and stay. This will help you be able to control her. Also, if you don't want to train her yourself, put her in a dog class.

• Scolding her insecurities, etc is not the way to go. You need to learn the skills to know what to do and going to training classes will be your best bet. But you have to find the right trainer that deals with only positive reinforcement. I recommend getting a book by Emma Parsons, called Click to Calm (Healing the Aggressive Dog). It will help with desensitize your dog to approaching strange dogs. Using your own body language when under stress as a cue for your dog to remain calm. Find a trainer who is up on the latest in canine behavior. I like the trainers: Patricia McConnell, and also Brenda Aloff. Both are great with aggression. I go to their seminars and just love them. I have seen Brenda Aloff twice and will see her again next year with two other trainers here for 3 days. PetSmart trainers will be unable to help you.