should i be worried?

i am dog sitting a s.african boerboel (african masstiff) Anyway they called last saturday and said they needed our services for one week and they would pick up the dog this saturday (TODAY) And they havent called yet its now 5 pm i called earlier but no…

should i be worried?

i am dog sitting a s.african boerboel (african masstiff) Anyway they called last saturday and said they needed our services for one week and they would pick up the dog this saturday (TODAY) And they havent called yet its now 5 pm i called earlier but no…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : should i be worried?...

• should i be worried?

should i be worried? Dog Breed Discussions
      i am dog sitting a s.african boerboel (african masstiff) Anyway they called last saturday and said they needed our services for one week and they would pick up the dog this saturday (TODAY) And they havent called yet its now 5 pm i called earlier but no answer should i be worried they never even called to check up on the dog either. do you think they are comeint to pick him up

should i be worried?

should i be worried? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I doubt they would just abandon a $1200 plus dog. However, I assume you wrote out a contract with the people? If they do not pick up in the specified time, you can attempt to contact them, and eventually turn the dog over to animal control. By law you can not just *keep* the dog, nor just give it away. But if they never come back, you can adopt the dog after the holding period!!

• I agree those dogs are EXPENSIVE dogs give them till 9 pm tonight then call again tomrrow i live in utah to (i saw your profile) the rules here are if the dog is in your care for THREE day or more its legally your dog.

• That's very strange. It seems like they would have called to check on the dog at least once or twice over the week period and they haven't even showed up to get the dog today. Do you have any of their family member's or friend's phone numbers? Since the owners are not answering their phones, try calling someone they know so you can make sure the owners are alright and coming to get the dog.Maybe they aren't the type to call and are coming to pick him up today, if they do not show up for some reason- just keep trying to call them.

• I'd just wait until Monday, but keep trying to contact them. If they don't answer you can turn the dog over to Animal Control. Like mentioned, I doubt they'd be that stupid to just throw $2000 out the window..

• I would give it a few days. Sometimes things happen beyond ones control. Do they have voice mail or an answering machine? If so leave a message with a time frame to which they should contact you in. Hopefully they will be in touch with you tonight or even show up late to pick him up due to traffic/weather reasons.Keep us posted.

• "Today" continues until midnight.That said, I once worked with a woman who boarded dogs and it was not uncommon for people not to call and then to show up a day late to pick up their animals. Some of them seemed to think that "through Saturday" meant until Sunday - sometime, not just morning, and she'd charge them a premium for having to sit and wait at her business for them to appear.If you add on an extra day or 2 charge because they didn't appear before "close of business" you'll either lose them as a repeat customer or have them showing up on time in the future. It can go either way.Continuing to keep the dog and adding another day's charge for each day is definitely in order for a few days. But, continue trying to contact the owners too. If they left any emergency contact phone numbers, try calling them as well.

• Did you specify a time that they had to pick up the dog? Or tell them what time would be too late? Or ask them what time they thought they would arrive? I don't know if I would be too worried that they didn't call, but I would have gotten a whole lot more information from them.. Vet name and number, a relative's name and number etc.

• They might have had something happen to delay them.Did they tell you what time Saturday they would return?Do you have any other contact numbers, children, parents, cousins, aunts, uncles, friends ??? If so, call them. People rarely abandon an expensive dog, but it can happen. Please keep the dog till Jan 2, and if they still are unreachable, then ask again.