What do I need to provide to prove my dog is a service dog at new apartment complex?

I'm in the process of moving into a new apartment where I will be bringing my service dog. He began predicting my seizures and became a self taught service animal. I never had any training done with him and therefore no paperwork. I'm not really sure…

What do I need to provide to prove my dog is a service dog at new apartment complex?

I'm in the process of moving into a new apartment where I will be bringing my service dog. He began predicting my seizures and became a self taught service animal. I never had any training done with him and therefore no paperwork. I'm not really sure…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What do I need to provide to prove my dog is a service dog at new apartment complex?...

• What do I need to provide to prove my dog is a service dog at new apartment complex?

What do I need to provide to prove my dog is a service dog at new apartment complex? Dogs Training Discussions
      I'm in the process of moving into a new apartment where I will be bringing my service dog. He began predicting my seizures and became a self taught service animal. I never had any training done with him and therefore no paperwork. I'm not really sure what I need to provide for my new apartment manager to prove that he is a service dog. Any one know the laws in Oregon regarding this?

What do I need to provide to prove my dog is a service dog at new apartment complex? Dogs Training Discussions
    • If you have a documented disability and can demonstrate that he is trained in one or more tasks to mitigate that disability, then you are legal and good to go. If the manager questions it, a doctor's note may clear the air. There is no legitimate service dog certification organization in the US, and certification is not required by law.

• 1) Get a doctor's letter recommending that the disabled person needs a service dog.2) Have your veterinarian write a statement that the service dog is not harmful to others and serves the purpose of serving the owner.3) Have proof of vaccinations to accompany the paperwork provided when turning in the application for certification.4) Fill out the application. Go to the service dog certification website and fill out the application to certify the service dog.5) Send in a payment. The fee is about $50.6) Receive an ID card within a couple weeks after sending in the paperwork. Bring this card to restaurants, work, stores, etc., to show proof that your dog is a service dog and that you need its service.

• The fact that the dog alerts you to seizures is not enough to qualify under the Americans With Disabilities act. The ADA does not exempt dogs from high standards of behavior, so you also need to be able to demonstrate that he is not a nuisance to others. Along with what the others said, I would get written testimonials from your previous landlord and former neighbors.

• I would recommend talking to your vet, and the manager him/herself, for recommendations. Demonstrating that this is a service animal, not a pet, will probably make for better relations with the manager and the building in general.Don't let them scare you, though. Under the Fair Housing Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, apartment managers CANNOT discriminate against a person with a disability. They cannot ban a service dog unless it causes a danger or major disruption, or is not housetrained.From the ADA website: "When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task."The Fair Housing Council of Oregon specifically mentions seizure alert dogs as recognized assistance animals, and says that formal training is not necessarily a requirement.Good luck, keep cool, and remember, a service animal is NOT a pet.

• Once again, people that don't have a clue as to what they're talking about are giving advice.First, major corrections are needed . . ."1) Get a doctor's letter recommending that the disabled person needs a service dog. " NO. This is NEVER needed for a Service Dog - EVER."2) Have your veterinarian write a statement that the service dog is not harmful to others and serves the purpose of serving the owner. " NO. This would NEVER be needed for any assistance dog and Veterinarians have NO LEGAL SAY in whether a person should have an ESA or Service Dog."3) Fill out the application. Go to the service dog certification website and fill out the application to certify the service dog. " NO! This, and all websites selling certification are SCAMS"4) Send in a payment. The fee is about $50." NO! Again, these are NOT LEGAL! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!"5) Receive an ID card within a couple weeks after sending in the paperwork. Bring this card to restaurants, work, stores, etc., to show proof that your dog is a service dog and that you need its service" INCORRECT! All knowledge businesses and people know these IDS, certifications and registries are SCAMS. They'll kick you out for presenting them because they'll know your Service Dog is FAKE. The ONLY people who use these are committing FEDERAL FRAUD by having a FAKE Service Dogs."The fact that the dog alerts you to seizures is not enough to qualify under the Americans With Disabilities act". WRONG! The ADA DOES recognize seizure alert dogs. They have for a very long time. Owner trained service dogs as well. And the service dog DOES NOT have to "DEMONSTRATE" the tasks it performs. Its not a trick pony - and neither are you." Others would demand the dog's certification also." They can DEMAND all they want but NO certification is required by Federal law. All certifications, registrations and licenses sold online are scams, worthless pieces of paper, and won't be accepted by any legitimate entity. Even the places selling these things will, in court, admit they are for novelty purposes only.Also, the quote from the ADA someone else gave relates to businesses, and how they verify that a dog is a service dog, NOT housing. That quote has nothing to do with housing.Now, what you MAY need is a letter from your Dr just stating you HAVE a service dog, needed BECAUSE of a disability. A Doctor does not need to RECOMMEND a service dog and, for a service dog, the disability the person has does NOT need to be disclosed in the letter.Hopefully you brought your service dog with you when applying for the apartment, and the dog demonstrated that it was exceptionally well behaved and, while filing out your application, you also submitted a "request for accommodation" form. Usually that's all that's needed.Some apartment complexes also request photos of the service dog and vaccination records. These are for identification and health reasons and are acceptable requests.There should be no problem with barking while you're away from the apartment because, as a service dog, it should be with you ALL the time. If you truly qualify for a service dog (your disability needs to be severe and identified as a disability under ADA standards) you should need it 24/7. (Read MirahaLeadMe's answer. It describes the legal qualifications perfectly). So the service dog will never leave your side. While you're home you can obviously stop any unwanted barking there may be although, as a highly trained service dog, there should be very little, if any.Although the ADA laws cover service dogs, housing issues are not covered by the ADA. Those issues ate covered by HUD, FHAA and the like. So that's where you'd want to look.Also, ask the apartment complex management themselves. They'll let you know. But know your rights as well so you're not getting pushed around.And regardless of the TD MariahLeadMe and myself have received, our answers may not be popular with some, but they do follow the law and are correct.Here's some useful links:Sample letter requesting accommodation:http://servicedogcentral.org/content/node/285Hers a great link with examples of Doctors letters and general housing questions regarding service dogs:http://servicedogcentral.org/content/faq/61But if this isn't a service dog and it's actually an Emotional Support Animal, you'll need to re-ask the question for ESA's instead of service dogs..

• In the U.S. to have and use a service dog, the person must meet the legal definition of "disabled" as set forth by the U.S. Department Of Justice contained in the Americans With Disabilities Act Amendments Act. No legal determination of disability = no service dog. Simply having a "disorder" does not mean one is disabled. Having a medical problem or condition does not mean one is disabled. Having depression does not mean one is disabled. Having severe anxiety and agoraphobia does not mean one is disabled. "Lack of social skills" does not qualify as a disability. Because one has had anxiety and panic attacks does not mean they are disabled. Being "impaired" is not the same as being disabled. Having a doctor give one a "diagnosis" is not the same as being disabled. Being too lazy to properly monitor ones blood glucose and insulin levels or choosing not to take prescribed medication properly is not a disability.The person MUST meet the ADA legal definition of disabled. A simple "doctors note" or a mere diagnosis of a condition is not legal proof of a disability. Neither is being a recipient of SSI, SSDI or the use of any other definition. The only definition of "disabled" which matters for service dog use is the USDOJ definition.Then the dog must be individually trained in work or tasks which directly mitigate the effects of the qualifying disability (the dog must do something that the person is unable to do for themselves because of their disability).The simple presence of the animal is not a legal task or work under the law. Because one is more comfortable with the dog around is not a legal task or work under the law. "Feeling better" because the dog is there does not qualify as a task or work under the law. "Helping me stay calm in the stores and other places" is not a legal task or work under the law. "Because he gets me out of the house" is not a legal task or work under the law. "I don't panic as much when the dog is with me" is not a legal task or work under the law. "She also seems to act weird before I begin to feel bad or have any episodes" is not a trained work or task under the law. "When I am near him and when I can hug him I feel almost whole" is not a legal task or work under the law. The dog must actually be trained to do something you cannot do for yourself, which is related to your qualifying disability. The dog must also be trained to behave properly when in the public venue, and be under the handlers control at all times. The work or task MUST be related to the qualifying disability.The ADA does not apply to housing situations, so any references to the ADA is moot. The FHAA, HUD, and Section 504 of the Rehab Act are what apply to housing.To have a service dog in 'no-pets' housing, one must first file and have approved a "Request for Reasonable Accommodations" with the landlord/manager/owner BEFORE bringing the animal onto the premises. A landlord/manager/owner may request from the prospective tenant a verification from the tenants treating physician as to the need for the service dog. The landlord/manager/owner may not ask about the specifics of the prospective tenants disability; only as to why the service dog is deemed necessary.The first thing you must do is to be certain you meet the ADA legal definition of disabled. Begin there.