What breed of dog makes the best running companion?

I would like to get a large breed dog but I am a very active person and I am wondering about getting a dog that could run with me in the mornings or evenings. I am not an extreme runner, just one mile in the morning and one in the evening but I need a…

I would like to get a large breed dog but I am a very active person and I am wondering about getting a dog that could run with me in the mornings or evenings. I am not an extreme runner, just one mile in the morning and one in the evening but I need a…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What breed of dog makes the best running companion?...

• What breed of dog makes the best running companion?

What breed of dog makes the best running companion? Dogs Training Discussions
      I would like to get a large breed dog but I am a very active person and I am wondering about getting a dog that could run with me in the mornings or evenings. I am not an extreme runner, just one mile in the morning and one in the evening but I need a dog that will enjoy a good run.

What breed of dog makes the best running companion? Dogs Training Discussions
    • I would head down to the animal shelter and get an adult mixed breed. When you interact with them, you'll know who'll be the best fit for you and your lifestyle.

• Boarder collie or mix w/boarder collie..Springer Spaniel ,both medium size dogs both like activity..Many many shelter dogs are available and would love a companion, almost any dog if given half the chance can learn to be a good running partner. Try rescues and shelters and pet finder, at least give them a look they have pure breeds, mixed breeds and all need a loving home. many are active..Try a dog under the age of 5. Good luck! I hope some dog gets lucky!

• You are right on the dot about a large dogs. They will be able to keep up with the stride easier. I would recommend a lab. They have long strides, and are usually pretty energetic, although they can still be snuggle buddies at the end of the day. I would recommend checking out the shelter. You can save a dog's life, while still having a running companion.

• I would highly suggest an australian shepherd. They are tireless, and LOVE to run. They are also beautiful to boot. They are more of a medium sized dog, and they make great house pets. They are very smart, and very loyal. For an aussie, mental excercise is almost as important as physical excercise. They need to think, or they will get bored. One thing I love about my aussie: she is a velcro dog. She is always on my feet, or very close by. However, some people don't really like this much :)Just a warning, though. They do shed. I brush my aussie every day, and it really helps control the hair in my house.

• I don't know if you have your heart set on a puppy, but your best bet isn't one. Large breed puppies aren't supposed to do much running until they are fully grown or they risk joint/bone damage. So your best bet is an adult dog of some kind.This is a generalization, but you probably won't want a dog that is a tracker, so anything like a beagle or a bloodhound are a bad idea. You also can't have most giant breeds like a Great Dane... they actually wouldn't be able to handle a lot of exercise.Labs or Golden Retrievers could be a great option for you, and make excellent running partners. A Border Collie would never tire, but you would have to make sure you were giving it mental stimulation as well as the running so it wouldn't become destructive. Giant Schnauzers actually are great running companions, if they are socialized well. If they aren't socialized well, some become over protective and will want to protect you from your fellow joggers.

• hi,to know what type of dog will suit you, you can use this dog finder match up http://dogtime.com/matchup/startthe goal here is to help you figure out what type of dog best suits you and your personality. The results of the match up will suggest certain breeds.hope this helps

• You need a high energy dog. I wouldn't suggest a Labrador or a Golden Retriever as they are usually fairly lazy layabout type dogs. A herding dog would be great as they are bred to work and to run all day as necessary - Border Collie, Australian Kelpie, Belgian Shepherd. I'm sure there are others but I don't have personal experience of any of these.As others have said, a good cross of these breeds could be great too. You don't have to have a purebred to have a great companion.

• According to Planet Dog, the following dogs make good jogging companions: airedale terrier, alaskan malamute, american pit bull terrier, australian shepherd, bearded collie, boxer, chesapeake bay retriever, collie, dalmatian, doberman, english springer spaniel, giant schnauzer, golden retriever, greyhound, irish setter, newfoundland, old english sheepdog, pointer, portugese water dog, rhodesian ridgeback, rottweiler, samoyed, siberian husky, soft-coated wheaten terrier, weimaraner and welsh springer spaniel.