What is a good breed of dog for a high school student in the mid west?

My family was thinking about getting a dog. We have had a dog before,so I am an experienced at training a dog. What is a breed that can live in Ohio where the seasons change and won't go nuts when I am at school/doing home work and can't playPs no labs…

My family was thinking about getting a dog. We have had a dog before,so I am an experienced at training a dog. What is a breed that can live in Ohio where the seasons change and won't go nuts when I am at school/doing home work and can't playPs no labs…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What is a good breed of dog for a high school student in the mid west?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is a good breed of dog for a high school student in the mid west?

What is a good breed of dog for a high school student in the mid west? Dogs Training Discussions
      My family was thinking about getting a dog. We have had a dog before,so I am an experienced at training a dog. What is a breed that can live in Ohio where the seasons change and won't go nuts when I am at school/doing home work and can't playPs no labs please that's what my old dog was :(

What is a good breed of dog for a high school student in the mid west? Dogs Training Discussions
    • It depends upon what your parents can handle. Since you're now in high school, this dog will be staying behind while you presumably go on to college. Maybe a nice Golden, an English Springer Spaniel, a retired racing Greyhound, to name a few possibilities.

• What ever kind of dog your parents want since it will be in their house and since you are a minor it is their responsibility to provide the dogs needs. That being said most dogs can adapt to weather changes. Some dogs need a little extra help during certain seasons. Some need coats and boots for the winter and others need early morning or late night exercise to beat the heat in the summers. Other types of retrievers make great family dogs. Their are goldens, Chesapeake's, and Flat Coats. If you get them young they do need a great deal of exercise. Hound dogs are notoriously lazy and would do better than other sport or working breeds when you are gone. Do you research because some house (such as the blue tick) require a more experienced handler. Doing back yard training with your lab will not cut it as experience for them. Most herding breeds will probably not be the best fit for you. If they are not properly exercised and socialized they can become distractive, same with terriers. An older dog will do better than a younger dog. No puppies if you will be out of the home for more than 2 hours at a time.

• Most breed will be fine... I live in Toronto so similar weather. Hot, hot summers, and cold winters. I have a lab/bullmastiff/shepherd mix. Popular breeds around here are golden retrievers, german shepherd, australian shepherds, boxers, beagles, great danes, bullmastiffs, bernese mountain dogs, spaniels, poodles, border collies, dobermans, boston terriers, newfoundlanders, rottweilers, labrador retrievers, and then all your little dogs (shih tzus, maltese, etc.). Most dogs will do fine in your climate. If it's short haired like a boxer you may want to be careful of being out in extremely cold temperatures, but if it's going to primarily be in your house, it'll be fine.As for being okay on it's own... It depends on the dog. My dog is alone 8 hours each day, but when we're home he gets lots of attention and exercise. It will just depend on the dog!Petfinder.com has dogs from rescues all over North America... All breeds, ages, temperments.Good luck!

• I suggest going to your local animal shelter/pound and looking at older dogs. I wouldn't get a puppy because it WILL go crazy while you're at school lol. Older dogs don't need all the play time like younger dogs do.