What size crate would you put a smaller dog in?

I'm getting a dog August 19th. It is a Pekingese and cocker spaniel mix.It is also the runt of the litter.

I'm getting a dog August 19th. It is a Pekingese and cocker spaniel mix.It is also the runt of the litter....
    Dogs Training Discussions : What size crate would you put a smaller dog in?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What size crate would you put a smaller dog in?

What size crate would you put a smaller dog in? Dogs Training Discussions
      I'm getting a dog August 19th. It is a Pekingese and cocker spaniel mix.It is also the runt of the litter.

What size crate would you put a smaller dog in? Dogs Training Discussions
    • The right sized crate is one that the dog can stand up in and turn around in comfortably. If you're going to use this crate permanently as a den but want to use it right away for training and housebreaking, all you need to do is get a medium sized crate with an adjustable/removable divider since when you are housebreaking, there should be no extra room or he/she will pooh on one side and move to the other and it won't work.

• it kinda depends on the dog's size. if its small, id get a medium cage so it has room 2 move around. if its medium, get a medium-large cage, and if its large, u should probably get a pretty big cage. hope i helped!

• none of them.people should not be lazy and use the convenience of a crate. dogs shouldn't spend their lives in cages.people should be responsible enough to properly train dogs.gah. i'm so sick of this crate training bulls**t

• You will want to get a crate that has enough room for the dog to stand up in and move around a little. Ask the breeder what type of crate they recommend. It is good for your dog to get used to a crate especially if you travel with your dog a lot. They will occasionally need to be crated and will not panic during flights when put into the crate.

• Crates are not for lazy people. When properly trained, a crate acts as a safe-zone. Dogs choose to go into their crate if it gets too loud, they want to chew a toy, or just want to cuddle up. The proper crate size has to be snug - enough room to stand and turn, but not enough to roam. The idea is to offer enough comfort room but not enough that they can go to the other side of the crate and pee. If they pee in their crate and it's properly sized they should be laying in their own pee. That's why crates work: dogs know instinctively not to pee where they sleep.