Is Seamus a good name for a male Airedale Terrier?

I am getting an Airedale puppy in a few months, and I am bouncing around names. I won't give it a name until I meet the dog, but the names I like are Hamish and Seamus. Names I dislike: Bear, Jack, Duke, or other boring dog names.

I am getting an Airedale puppy in a few months, and I am bouncing around names. I won't give it a name until I meet the dog, but the names I like are Hamish and Seamus. Names I dislike: Bear, Jack, Duke, or other boring dog names....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is Seamus a good name for a male Airedale Terrier?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is Seamus a good name for a male Airedale Terrier?

Is Seamus a good name for a male Airedale Terrier? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am getting an Airedale puppy in a few months, and I am bouncing around names. I won't give it a name until I meet the dog, but the names I like are Hamish and Seamus. Names I dislike: Bear, Jack, Duke, or other boring dog names.

Is Seamus a good name for a male Airedale Terrier? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Both names are good. Be sure to start researching how to care for your new puppy now on line. Puppies take a lot of time and energy. All large breed dogs need at least one 40 minute walk a day (start with 10 minutes with your new puppy and work up to 40 minutes by 5 months old) to stay healthy (time spent in the yard is NEVER a substitute for a walk).You should definitely take your new puppy to puppy socialization classes using positive reinforcement methods and practice the lessons for at least 15 minutes every day. I also highly recommend at least one adult basic obedience class with an airedale..they tend to be a stubborn breed. You and your puppy will be much happier in the long run if you train him. Look up rally obedience on line and also dog agility (look at the videos on youtube)--its a great way to have fun with your dog. Your puppy will need to go out every hour when he is awake and as soon as he wakes to housetrain him until he is at least 3 months old because puppies have very little if any bladder control until then. Good luck with your puppy.

• As long as you like the name, I don't think your dog will mind. Anyways, you'll find that no matter what you name him/her, in a few months, you'll think that no other name would have fit your dog as perfectly.

• I wouldn't name my dog Seamus, it looks too much like the word semen to me. However, it is pronounced SHAY-mus and it means "he who supplants" and is of Irish origin. I believe a male Airedale Terrier needs a more manly name. If it were me I would name him Alistair. The meaning of Alistair is "man's defender". The Scottish spelling is Alasdair, which is the Gaelic form of Alexander. This name has long been popular in Scotland and the Airedale breed originated in the dales south of Scotland.But the bottom line, my friend, is it's your Airedale puppy and it's what you like that's important. Enjoy your new companion.