Would this type of dog need hand stripping?

This is a dog that I love at a local humane society, I brush her when I go because she gets tiny mats and her hair is super wiry feeling. She looooooves it! I was wondering if she would be a candidate for hand stripping. She seems to be a terrier mix and…

This is a dog that I love at a local humane society, I brush her when I go because she gets tiny mats and her hair is super wiry feeling. She looooooves it! I was wondering if she would be a candidate for hand stripping. She seems to be a terrier mix and…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Would this type of dog need hand stripping?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Would this type of dog need hand stripping?

Would this type of dog need hand stripping? Dog Breed Discussions
      This is a dog that I love at a local humane society, I brush her when I go because she gets tiny mats and her hair is super wiry feeling. She looooooves it! I was wondering if she would be a candidate for hand stripping. She seems to be a terrier mix and border terriers, airedale terriers, and wire haired fox terriers look best when they are hand stripped, but don't they get soft when their hair gets long? Her fur is not soft. What would help her look her best?http://www.petharbor.com/detail.asp?ID=A012741&LOCATION=VENT&searchtype=ADOPT&start=4&friends=1&samaritans=1&nosuccess=0&rows=10&imght=250&imgres=thumb&view=sysadm.v_vent&bgcolor=f5f5dc&text=000000&link=e69900&alink=dadade&vlink=e69900&fontface=arial&fontsize=10&col_hdr_bg=009735&col_hdr_fg=e69900&col_bg=FFE66C&col_bg2=e69900&col_fg=000000&zip=15233&miles=10&shelterlist='VENT'&atype=&where=type_DOGI know it says maltese/poodle mix, but I'm sure if you met this sweetheart in person you would agree she is a large part terrier with her face shape and coat type.

Would this type of dog need hand stripping? Dog Breed Discussions
    • No stripping. According to that ad, that dog's a maltese/poodle mix, no terrier in her. You could just trim those scraggly hairs with scissors to neaten her up. She, like most dogs, would have to be correctly brushed regularly and she won't get matted up.

• Dogs generally hate hand stripping, and most groomers won't do it as it is tedious and time consuming, you can only do an area the size of your hand at a time over a few weeks to get started, then you do it quite regularly to maintain the look. (most people don't want to pay for the time it takes as it would be expensive)That coat looks like a combination of both breeds too and really wouldn't lend itself to stripping. You can use thinning shears to get it to look similar but a good scissor clip would look cute.

• Belgian Nut is right... This also depends on IF the humane society would approve of it. If she is matted, they would cut the mats out. They don;t do anything fancy, just if the fur is BAD, then they will take care of it. There are small breed dogs at the humane society near me, and they have a lot of fur... They are not groomed unless it is dirty, too long, or matted.

• Interesting cause the description says Maltese/Poodle which should NOT have a wire-haired coat. Either the coat is in poor shape and dry or they are wrong on the "breeds".Most wirehaired terriers need hand stripping or at least half hand stripping and part shaving. If I was adopting her, I'd have her clipped short first and then go from there to figure out how best she would look with various grooming.

• Wirehair dachshunds get hand stripped too. Sometimes, a poorly bred wire dachshund will have a soft coat, which usually ends up being clipped.What I sugget to do is gently tug the hair's that sticking up, pull in the direction that it grows. If it comes out easily and doesn't hurt the dog, then gently strip her. You can put corn starch on small sections of the coat, to help grasp the hair.If the hair does not come out easily, then don't continue stripping. Maybe she's just got a crazy looking coat and that's her look. If she tangles easily, then just brush her every day.