How to get my dog trained to be a service dog?

I have been looking and i haven't found much details on how to get my dog trained. I don't want to be that person who just puts a jacket on my dog and lies about my dog being one. My dad has been having trouble over the years and i really thinks he needs…

I have been looking and i haven't found much details on how to get my dog trained. I don't want to be that person who just puts a jacket on my dog and lies about my dog being one. My dad has been having trouble over the years and i really thinks he needs…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How to get my dog trained to be a service dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to get my dog trained to be a service dog?

How to get my dog trained to be a service dog? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have been looking and i haven't found much details on how to get my dog trained. I don't want to be that person who just puts a jacket on my dog and lies about my dog being one. My dad has been having trouble over the years and i really thinks he needs one. I know my dog has the right temperament because i have had several people ask me if she is one but i just want to know how much it will cost and where i can get her trained at.

How to get my dog trained to be a service dog? Dogs Training Discussions
    • This is all I could find. You may want to contact the National registry for service dogs.http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/how-to-certify-my-dog-to-be-a-service-dog_1549.htmlhttp://www.wikihow.com/Train-Your-Service-Dog-Without-a-Professional-Trainer

• To have and use a service dog, the person must meet the legal definition of "disabled" as defined by the US Department of Justice contained in the Americans With Disabilities Act. The person MUST meet the legal definition of "disabled". Simply 'having trouble over the years' does not necessarily qualify as being disabled.No legal determination of disability = no service dog.Simply having a "disorder" does not mean one is disabled. Being "impaired" is not the same as being disabled. Having a doctor give one a "diagnosis" is not the same as being disabled. Having a medical problem or condition does not mean one is disabled. A simple "doctor’s note" or a mere diagnosis of a condition is not legal proof of a disability. Neither is being a recipient of SSI, SSDI or the use of any other definition. The only definition of "disabled" which matters for service dog use is the USDOJ definition.Then the dog must be individually trained in work or tasks which directly mitigate the effects of the qualifying disability (the dog must do something that the person is unable to do for themselves because of their disability).The simple presence of the animal is not a legal task or work under the law. Because one is more comfortable with the dog around is not a legal task or work under the law. "Feeling better" because the dog is there does not qualify as a task or work under the law. The dog must actually be trained to do something your father cannot do for himself, which is related to his qualifying disability. The dog must also be trained to behave properly when in the public venue, and be under the handlers control at all times. The work or task MUST be related to the qualifying disability.The very first thing you must do is to be sure that your father meets the legal definition of "disabled' as outlined by the law. Begin there.