is it possible to get your dog trained as a therapy dog?

I would really like to get my dog trained as a therapy dog, he is very kind, gentle, and very very charismatic. Is this possible? If it is, please provide any places that you know of that offer these types of programs. thank you!

I would really like to get my dog trained as a therapy dog, he is very kind, gentle, and very very charismatic. Is this possible? If it is, please provide any places that you know of that offer these types of programs. thank you!...
    Dogs Training Discussions : is it possible to get your dog trained as a therapy dog?...

• is it possible to get your dog trained as a therapy dog?

is it possible to get your dog trained as a therapy dog? Dogs Training Discussions
      I would really like to get my dog trained as a therapy dog, he is very kind, gentle, and very very charismatic. Is this possible? If it is, please provide any places that you know of that offer these types of programs. thank you!

is it possible to get your dog trained as a therapy dog? Dogs Training Discussions
    • You would pull out your phone book or start searching online for trainers who can do therapy dog training. Often they offer it under CGC training, which is very similar to Therpay Dog training. Then, you contact them and ask for a consult. If they think the dog is ready for advanced training like this, then you sign up and put the time in at home. You'll then have to get the dog tested and certified with a therpay dog group that works in your area.

• Yes this is definitely possible! You need to get your dog DELTA certified (not sure how that works...) and in order to do that there's a certain list of actions your dog must perform... it's like sit, down, stay, walk past another dog, walk nicely on a leash, greet a stranger kindly, and things along the line. You probably don't need a specific therapy dog class for this, you can train your own dog or you can take a class (doesn't necessarily have to be a therapy dog class, just a training class.)Good luck! Try googling "therapy dog training near [your location]"

• Usually dogs used for assistance of the blind, deaf, some theraphy start with training as early as 6 weeks- 2 months old. I saw an ad that some Golden Retrievers, after 8 months, were capable of doing some 80 commands and retrievals. Your blind societies, Good Will, Salvation Army, United Way, organizations will be able to assist you. Each state has different organizations that can set you up. Local rescue will have information as well. In our state, if you have an older obedient dog that has all its shots, there are some schools and nursing homes and hospitals that will allow you to bring your dog in to assist in helping people that have depression,no family and other issues on a regular basis. I would start with the organizations listed above and go from there, they have the proper requirements. Also you may try and google off the internet. GOOD LUCK

• We have an Australian Shepherd that is trained to be a therapy dog. She was trained by her first birthday although you can train a dog for therapy at any age. Most therapy dogs go through obedience training first.I would highly suggest the Bright and Beautiful dog therapy program they offer training classes. Many hospitals also offer training classes.You do not always have to go to classes to train your dog for therapy some programs offer testing at different locations and if your dog can pass the test they will be certified to do pet therapy.I do however highly suggest a training program for therapy as this will help you and your dog with situations that you might come across when doing therapy. The reason I suggest a training class is because a good training class will expose your dog to wheel chairs, IV poles, fire alarms and things that your dog will come across in nursing homes, hospitals etc. In training our dog also learned how to great someone that has a hospital table in front of them which is not a requirement but comes in handy every time we go to visit.. Training was also very useful for learning tips and tricks from people who have actually done pet therapy. A perfect example is to carry two leads with you, because often times patients get hold of a lead and do not want to let go, this way you simply switch leads and walk your dog away avoiding any unwanted commotion.Here is the website for Bright and Beautiful that may answer some of the questions you may have.http://www.golden-dogs.org/Good Luck I am sure that if you go through with this you will not be disappointed it is truly a rewarding experience.

• Typically people who want to do therapy dog volunteering do the training themselves, perhaps by taking some classes at local dog schools. Your local pet store, vet's office, and kennel club may know of therapy dog classes in your area.If you have a specific facility you'd like to visit, you should ask them what they require. Some will require that you and your dog be registered with a specific organization and those that permit therapy dog visits will likely have a list of contacts of people in the area who do that kind of volunteering, or local therapy dog chapters/clubs.The top three therapy dog organizations in the US are:http://deltasociety.orghttp://tdi-dog.orghttp://therapydogs.comI'm currently boycotting TDI because a) they won't respond to phone calls or emails by members with legitimate questions and b) they are anti- service dog (dogs that assist the disabled). I'd recommend Delta because they have excellent member services and the most comprehensive testing.

• You need to get your dog into a good obedience class, take it out around lots of different people, distractions, noises, etc, get the AKC CGC and then test with either Delta Society or Therapy Dog International once he has passed a therapy test and become certified then you will be able to take him to various places such as nursing homes, hospitals, rehab facilities, schools etc..any place that welcomes therapy dogs or has a therapy dog program.I like TDI (therapy dog international) over Delta Society. My Danes have been tested & certified through TDI. They have been an absolute pleasure to do business with and they also allow dogs that are raw fed to be in the therapy program which Delta does not. I have found Delta to be a not so dog/handler friendly organization.

• Hi, do you mean a therapy dog that visits people in hospitals, hospices, childrens homes etc to help cheer up patients? I yes, then it depends which country you are in. In GB we have to train the dog in basic obedience and dog obedience class and they are assessed by a behaviourist or vet and tested to make sure they are suitable. If going to a hospital the dog has to be taught to be careful around machines etc, and to not be frightened of strange things like walking frames, trolleys etc. You have to register with an organisation (eg Pets As Therapy, Therapet) because your dog is then insured through them if anything happens while visiting patients. Then you apply for where you would like to visit, and depending on the place, you work out when you will visit. It is normally a scheduled time so the patients will know you are coming.It is very rewarding for the patients, it can help cheer them up, and for you it is lovely to see your dog make someone's day a bit better, and of course you can chat to them all about your pet too!Probably best idea would be to type into search engine on internet the area you live in and therapy dogs,or therapy pets, and see where the nearest organisation in your area is. They will give you all the details and support you need to get your dog as a therapy pet.Good luck and enjoy it :)