How do you get into Police dog training?

I am a dog training and am looking to do more of protection training (Police dog training)Does any one have advice or know how to get into something like this without having to BECOME a cop. I have talked with a few people and some say you need to get a…

I am a dog training and am looking to do more of protection training (Police dog training)Does any one have advice or know how to get into something like this without having to BECOME a cop. I have talked with a few people and some say you need to get a…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How do you get into Police dog training?...

• How do you get into Police dog training?

How do you get into Police dog training? Dogs Training Discussions
      I am a dog training and am looking to do more of protection training (Police dog training)Does any one have advice or know how to get into something like this without having to BECOME a cop. I have talked with a few people and some say you need to get a dog and train it then show him and get him into things to show off how good you are.. and some say you need to become a cop.. thanks!!

How do you get into Police dog training? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Best place for you to start is a schutzhund club. Basic protection work is done here for sport. You need a good dog and a good attitude, not a badge. Although many cops do schh with their k9's too.Be advised that not all dogs can cut it in protection work, so do your homework and get the input of schh people if you need guidance finding the right dog.

• Most police dogs are bred in Germany. There are a few breeders in the U.S. but the majority of police agencies import their dogs. The breeders do the basic training and then the police agencies purchase the dogs and continue their training here. The police officers and their dogs attend specialized training schools and then continue training on their own at home. So what you'd be looking for is either breeding dogs specifically for police work or being employed one of the training schools that police agencies use to further their dogs' training.

• i dont know how to become a police dog trainer but i know what you cant have in a police dog for eg. if a puppy has been hit by a roll of newspaper from digging the plant from a young age then when it gets older and gets scared of something that gets waved around its head like a criminals hand trying to shoo it off and the dog runs away the dog is no use ,another eg. some dogs get cautious by walking on tiles because they slip and those dogs that get scared they are no use.