How can you get your neighbors to clean up after their dog's poop?

We live in a townhome, and our "backyard" is connected to our neighbors' backyards without a fence. Our neighbors NEVER clean up after their dog's poop. I've stepped in it, gotten it on my pants, my dog played with their dog and rolled in it accidentally…

We live in a townhome, and our "backyard" is connected to our neighbors' backyards without a fence. Our neighbors NEVER clean up after their dog's poop. I've stepped in it, gotten it on my pants, my dog played with their dog and rolled in it accidentally…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How can you get your neighbors to clean up after their dog's poop?...

• How can you get your neighbors to clean up after their dog's poop?

How can you get your neighbors to clean up after their dog's poop? Dogs Training Discussions
      We live in a townhome, and our "backyard" is connected to our neighbors' backyards without a fence. Our neighbors NEVER clean up after their dog's poop. I've stepped in it, gotten it on my pants, my dog played with their dog and rolled in it accidentally . . . and it smells! There are piles and piles of it everywhere, yet they're nice neighbors. So how can I get them to clean it up without pissing them off?

How can you get your neighbors to clean up after their dog's poop? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Start throwing those single firecrackers in the yard, believe me, it will STOP their dogs from even entering!! Otherwise, maybe try talking to them and let them know what you feel. Or, maybe it is time to call animal control since there is a leash law for pets.

• Just be direct and ask them nicely to pick it up or if you see them out there with the dog hand them a bag and say, "here's a bag so you don't have to run back in and get one". Maybe report them to the association for the townhomes.

• i would just talk to them about it and if they don't listen then buy them a pooper scooper for one of their birthdays or something maybe then they'll get the point

• The only logical way I see of dealing with this is to just ask them! If they are nice people, just ask them to help take care of the backyard that you share. I don't think that that is too much to ask, and they should have been doing that from the start. Don't bring up the past incidents, because then they may get defensive, just ask them to clean up what is their dog's mess. It isn't healthy for the dogs either, and they should be aware of that.

• Ask them too? If they are nice neighbors, then explain to them in a very nice manner that its becoming a problem for you. If they are truly nice neighbors like you say they are, they should have no problem doing it. Say "im not trying to come off bitchy but i keep stepping in your dog poop do you think you could maybe pick it up sometime ...." then if they don't....You take the time to clean it up and throw it all in ONE big pile close to their door....They willl get the hint. If they get mad, who cares? They obviously don't care about you...Right?

• I'm in a townhome also but have luckily been able to put up a privacy fence to keep my dogs in and other animals out. Living in this type of community, there are rules and I bet one of them refers to this situation. You can always call the Board and have them send out a letter reminding people to clean up after thier pets or they can come over and inspect and write the person a direct letter. There are advantages to living in a townhouse and you shouldn't allow it to be ruined by others! (or not let your dog play...throw the poop back in their yard...)