What would be a good medium to large sized dog?

I am currently looking for a new puppy and would like a larger dog. I live in a duplex with another family who has a dog (played great with my old dog and is very friendly). I have a pretty big yard and would like a dog who I could train to stick around…

I am currently looking for a new puppy and would like a larger dog. I live in a duplex with another family who has a dog (played great with my old dog and is very friendly). I have a pretty big yard and would like a dog who I could train to stick around…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What would be a good medium to large sized dog?...

• What would be a good medium to large sized dog?

What would be a good medium to large sized dog? Dogs Training Discussions
      I am currently looking for a new puppy and would like a larger dog. I live in a duplex with another family who has a dog (played great with my old dog and is very friendly). I have a pretty big yard and would like a dog who I could train to stick around so I don't have to keep the gates locked all the time. I would want a dog that is very social and not extremely hyper. I was thinking of a Lab or a Golden Retriever.

What would be a good medium to large sized dog? Dogs Training Discussions
    • golden retriver is a great choice, they are friendly and extreamly smart pups! go with that choice :)Labrador retrivers are just as good and black!i guess it depends on what colour you want :)

• i have had two springer spaniels and they are great dogs. they are really friendly! the field ones can be hyper but if you get one bred for show the are a lot easier to train to stick around and very mellow. i have had quite a few experiences with many different large medium/large breed dogs but they are my personal favorite. golden retrievers are also very good dogs, i'd pick them over a lab.

• Labs and Retrievers are both good, but please whatever you do, get a microchip implant for the dog, just in case, and I also hope you will check the local animal shelter/animal adoption facility, your new best friend may be sitting waiting to "adopt you!" good luck!

• Goldens and Labs are GREAT dogs!as well as German Shepherds,Australian Shepherds,APBT and American Bulldogs.I have 3 small dogs.but in the past had those dogs and there amazing dogs.Very protective,loyal and sweet.and you know you need to get a dog depending on your lifestyle.labs or goldens may or may not fit your schedule,medium to large sized dogs need a lot of exercise and attention.So it highly depends.you need to do a lot of research before getting a dog.Good Luck.XXX

• my absolute favorite dog is a german short-hair pointer...they are the greatest, they are hunting dogs and can be very well trained. they can be very hyper, but the ones i've seen aren't really, they were laid back and listened well. plus they are smart and have really short coats...medium to large...you should look into it

• My brother-in-law has a Golden Retriever and he was very hyper for the first two years. I don't know if this is typical, or he just got lucky. ;) He doesn't have a fence and the dog had to (and still has to be) tied to a tree when taken outside or he will act as though he is suddenly deaf and keep on going.That being said... German Shepherds are good, easy to train dogs. So are Collies. Good luck with your search!

• Burmese Mountain Dog.These guys are soft, playful, friendly, confident and easy-going.If everybody on your block has a Goldie, a Lab or a Shepherd, try one of these. Although they do shed a bit, they definitely do not disappoint.

• A BOXER is without a doube the best, smartest, most loving, gentlest dog you could ever own, bar none. They are in a class by themselves. They range from 50-80 pounds when grown, females being smaller. Excellent with children, easy to train, fantastic house dog. tremendous companion dog.

• I would suggest a Siberian Husky. Make sure that it isn't aggreassove. If you have kids or know any get one that is strong. Then it could pull a wagon or they could ride it or something. Mine is perfect. She is a runt though... But VERY strong. I prefer that.Or a German Shephard. They are ADORABLE!!I wouldn't suggest a Rotweiler. They Aren't the best. (One of the most top deadliest canines that can be pets)Ooh! Ooh! A Shetland Sheepy is great, I have always wanted one!

• German Shepherds are great for your qualifications! They are very family-friendly and very smart! They are also great guard dogs! (Proven by the Police) German Shepherds are currently the third most popular breed in America. Shepherds were specifically bred for their intelligence, a trait they are now renowned for. They're also very mellow but love to play. My cousin has one named Lucky & he's adorable & so well behaved! German Shepherds are great dogs & I highly recommend them! Goldens are good, too. My BFF has one & he's pretty cute, but I like German Shepherds better! Good Luck!

• If you are worried about wandering, keep in mind that a lot of Siberian Huskies, Malamutes, Beagles, Basset Hounds and Labs can be very unreliable that way. Labs also take about 2 years or so to get out of the puppy brain stage, but if you are patient and can last that long, you could end up with an amazing dog. Goldens have become so popular that a lot of breeders are no longer breeding for temperament, so not all of them are the wonderful sweet intelligent dogs they use to be. But a Golden that is bred right is a wonderful dog! Bernese Mountain Dogs are great dogs too, although a bit reserved, I understand. If you get a collie, you might want a short haired one because that long hair can be a pain to maintain. You want to avoid Dalmations and Irish Setters if hyperactivity drives you nuts. Chows are not hyper at all - but I've known too many of them (including one I ended up inheriting) that were so possessive of family that they proved to be dangerous. You'd have to very carefully socialize him. Have you considered a Standard Poodle? Or how about a good ol' mix breed? Any one know anything about the Irish Water Spaniel? I only knew one, slightly, and he might not have been typical of the breed for all I know - but he would have fit your qualifications.

• well, for a loyal dog, a pit bull puppy is best. Once you train them they'll never leave your side, and if you ge them young enough, they'll get along fine with other dogs. However, they are extremely hyper, and some people don't like them because the media has given them a bad rep. Australian sheepdogs are really good with kids and other dogs, but they need a lot of exercise or they gain weight really quick. Great Danes are really good too if you don't mind the food costs. Do some research, see what puppies are looking for homes in your area. Craigslist is a really good place to look. That's where I found my pit puppy and my kitten (which for you pit bull haters, they get along FAMOUSLY!!!). GOOD LUCK!

• We have St. Bernards and they get along with every animal never leaves our yard and are the sweetest dogs ever and NO not all of them constantly drool we had one she never did our one male does nad our other male hardly ever does.