Can a dog open a closet door without any help?

I have 2 dogs (a male and a female). For the second time, the male dog has gotten trapped into my walk in closet somehow. The first time I thought I had left the closet door open and he accidentally closed the door locking himself in. However, the…

I have 2 dogs (a male and a female). For the second time, the male dog has gotten trapped into my walk in closet somehow. The first time I thought I had left the closet door open and he accidentally closed the door locking himself in. However, the…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : Can a dog open a closet door without any help?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can a dog open a closet door without any help?

Can a dog open a closet door without any help? Dogs Training Discussions
      I have 2 dogs (a male and a female). For the second time, the male dog has gotten trapped into my walk in closet somehow. The first time I thought I had left the closet door open and he accidentally closed the door locking himself in. However, the second time, the door was definitely closed. Is it possible that he opened the door? Or did the girl dog open the door and push him in?? Has this type of thing happened to anybody else? I feel like the girl dog plays tricks on him and this is just one of them.

Can a dog open a closet door without any help? Dogs Training Discussions
    • I have french door handles on my doors and my dog can open and close them if the door closes toward the frame from the inside. Happens all the time. She usually does it to my bed room door though cause she likes to nap in my bed all day.

• Yeah.....a dog can get itself trapped in a closet. That happened to my grandmas dog..so i guess it is possible......but the girl dog could have pushed him in, who really knows? you should like hide a camera in the room and see for yourself!

• That is lol funny.. but in a good way I mean. Growing up we had a shih-tzu that could open cupboard doors. I would imagine its possible that your female is talented enough to close a door as well. I've had 2 dogs myself that were able to open sliding doors with enough persistance.I doubt the female is so talented that she managed both feats on her on. It was probably a collabrative effort with the male ending up on the short end of the stick.

• Yes, some dogs can open door handles. I always warn guests to lock the bathroom door when they are using it, as when my German Shepherd hears a loud, scary noise (like the incredibly terrifying coffee grinder, or the beyond evil toenail clippers. ) She runs to the other side of the house, jumps up, opens the bathroom door (which is always kept shut), and will sit by or in our bathtub until whichever despicable sound that is worrying her so ceases. Afterwards it take several minutes of coaxing to remove her from said bathtub. Yes, I know, my dog is a wimp. I hope that helps, Good luck!

• yes they can if the door is partily open or if you have something on the door that they can grab and pull on.They're than you realize..And she might be jealous of the other dog too..