What do I do when my dog catches a rabbit?

Since dogs play with their prey before killing it, is there some way I can ease the suffering? Then what do I do with the rabbit?

Since dogs play with their prey before killing it, is there some way I can ease the suffering? Then what do I do with the rabbit?...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What do I do when my dog catches a rabbit?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What do I do when my dog catches a rabbit?

What do I do when my dog catches a rabbit? Dogs Training Discussions
      Since dogs play with their prey before killing it, is there some way I can ease the suffering? Then what do I do with the rabbit?

What do I do when my dog catches a rabbit? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Cats play with their prey, dogs just kill it. If your dog is just learning to hunt on its own, it is not proficient with the kill, yet. My Siberian Husky will make the kill in about 15 seconds, then in about another 60 seconds have it eaten. When prey animals are hit by predators, they go into shock, thus feel little pain.Allow your dog the taste of fresh meat. It is much healthier for it than dog kibble.

• the question is do you want your dog to be aggressive and a killer or a family pet.Any person who lives in an urban environment and doesn't have to kill other animals for food or to eradicate pests is just being a blood thirsty red neck.In the wild a dog will naturally run with a pack and hunt food. In urban areas, you provide your dog with meat so it doesn't have to kill. if you let it hunt and kill a rabbit, it will get a taste for it and potentially develop behaviors that you don't want - maybe even being bad around children and adults.If you don't want your dog doing this, keep it away from rabbits, If it did it accidently this one time you will probably have to break the rabbits neck and bury it, or eat it if you know it is not diseased.