Should I get an Airedale Terrier or a Giant Schnauzer?

My finace and I will be moving from an apartment into a house soon and that means getting a dog! We're arguing about the breed to get, altough we've narrowed it to these two breeds ... what do you all think?

My finace and I will be moving from an apartment into a house soon and that means getting a dog! We're arguing about the breed to get, altough we've narrowed it to these two breeds ... what do you all think?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Should I get an Airedale Terrier or a Giant Schnauzer?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Should I get an Airedale Terrier or a Giant Schnauzer?

Should I get an Airedale Terrier or a Giant Schnauzer? Dog Breed Discussions
      My finace and I will be moving from an apartment into a house soon and that means getting a dog! We're arguing about the breed to get, altough we've narrowed it to these two breeds ... what do you all think?

Should I get an Airedale Terrier or a Giant Schnauzer? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Both are wonderful breeds, and both require a lot of grooming!I personally prefer the Giant Schnauzer, but regardless of which you choose, please be sure to go to an ethical, reputable breeder. I've heard of serious aggression/temperament problems in both breeds, and you need to work with someone who can give you the right info on how to properly socialize and train a big terrier puppy, as well as someone who breeds with temperament in mind.Good luck with your new puppy!

• Well it's hard to answer just based on that...Since there is much to consider as far as what you're looking for in a dog. Obviously you have some idea, since Airedales and GS's are similar in many ways.Maybe if you posted some more things you're looking for, temperment, etc., it might be easier to suggest one over the other.

• i have a terrpoo half terrier and half poodle. shes only 13 lbs and a real cuddler. i think if you have a lot of love for dogs and love to have them cuddle and be baby like the terrier bread is right for you and they love kids. my 2 yr old and dog are like best friends terriers love to run and my dog just love to fly threw the air when shes aloud to go loose at the cabin

• i've dealt with bothe breeds in my work. both are great dogs. i think the giant schnauzer is absolutely beautifil! but i think every one that i have dealt with has had issues about something.they need a lot of obedience training. and you have to let them know that you are the alpha dog. i even saw one on a viseo that was a show dog and they were doing accupuncture on it to calm it down before the show. and some of the airdales i,ve seen have some issues also, but i've seen moresweet ones than anything

• i like both, but i think which ever you get you should get from a rescue or the animal shelter.....why buy one from a breeder that just makes more when there are so many now that need homes or they'll be put down.

• I like both, and they are very much alike. I would check with some rescue organizations. I know that if you go that way Airdales are more common and easyier to find. Airdales are also still used as hunting dogs, and show a stronger prey drive(usually), which may be important to you. I know owners of both breeds, and you have a tough decision, good luck!