What do you do to try and keep pet hair at bay?

I vaccum every day, and I still feel like I have dog hair everywhere!! I have a black lab. My 10 month old crawls on the floor, and when I pick him up I swear he has so much hair on him that he looks like a lab puppy! I am getting so frustrated. …

I vaccum every day, and I still feel like I have dog hair everywhere!! I have a black lab. My 10 month old crawls on the floor, and when I pick him up I swear he has so much hair on him that he looks like a lab puppy! I am getting so frustrated. …...
    General Dog Discussions : What do you do to try and keep pet hair at bay?...

• What do you do to try and keep pet hair at bay?

What do you do to try and keep pet hair at bay? General Dog Discussions
      I vaccum every day, and I still feel like I have dog hair everywhere!! I have a black lab. My 10 month old crawls on the floor, and when I pick him up I swear he has so much hair on him that he looks like a lab puppy! I am getting so frustrated. There is dog hair in our food, in our cupboards, on our clothes in the car... I am so grossed out! Any ideas?

What do you do to try and keep pet hair at bay? General Dog Discussions
    • IntroductionA dog that sheds a lot can be a major problem. When you have guests, there is a good chance that you do not want them to see how much your dog sheds. If you have a child who is allergic to dog hair, then shedding can be a major problem and clean-up is necessary. Luckily, there are a number of easy things that you can do in order to eliminate dog hair in the home and prevent it from building up in the first place. InstructionsDifficulty: Moderately Easy Things You'll NeedA Dog Groomer A Lint Roller A Vacuum A Doggy Bed Lots of Patience! Steps1Step OneProperly Groom Your Dog It is important for you to make sure that you properly groom your dog. Not only should you give your dog a bath as often as he or she needs it, but you should also have the dog shaved if you feel that it may help control the amount of hair that sheds. Even more importantly, you should do your best to get the hair off your dog before it can end up anywhere else in your home. The best way to do this is by brushing your dog. Proper grooming will ultimately prevent your dog from shedding a whole lot, which will help you prevent the need to clean dog hair due to shedding in the home. 2Step TwoDesignate Areas of the Home to Your Dog Depending on the activity level of your dog, designating areas of the home to him or her can be either very easy or very difficult. You may want to do everything that you can to prevent your dog from jumping on the furniture. Instead of allowing your dog to sleep in your bed, it may be a good idea to purchase a doggy bed. This will encourage your dog to stay off your bed and furniture, which will ultimately help prevent you from having to clean up the hair that the dog has shed all over the place. 3Step ThreeVacuum Several Times Weekly Although it may sound like a difficult task, vacuuming several times weekly can be essential if you own a dog that sheds a lot. If you are trying to determine how often you should vacuum your home, the best option is for you to vacuum every other day or every few days. Unfortunately, you may need to vacuum even more frequently, depending on the amount of hair that your dog sheds on a regular basis. 4Step FourConsider Using Lint Rollers on Clothing and Furniture Lint rollers are very useful for you to have around the house if you have a dog that sheds a lot. Many people do not realize that you can use lint rollers on more than just clothing. You can also use lint rollers on certain types of furniture, though it is not recommended to use them on leather furniture. Although this something that is very simple to do that will help eliminate dog shedding when you are about to go out or have company over, it does take a lot of time and patience, especially if your dog sheds a lot. IntroductionIs all that doggy fur driving you insane? You love your best friend but don't love the shedding fur that comes with him. So what is a dog-lover to do? Below are some tips on dealing with a shedding dog that should make your life with Fido easier. InstructionsDifficulty: Moderate Things You'll NeedDog Brushes Dog Shampoo Vacuume Baby Gates Other products listed (Optional) Steps1Step One Click to enlargeInvest in a good strong vacuum with a Hepa-filter. Change filter often and vacuum daily. Also, look for one with an upholstery attachment. Some companies make vacuums that are specifically for households with pets 2Step Two Click to enlargeBrush your dog outdoors at least once weekly (twice is ideal)--more during shedding periods such as the end of winter. This will decrease the amount that falls off in the house. If your dog has thicker fur you might want to use a combination of types of brushes, including the "rake" type that gets to the under-coat. I find that very helpful with my lab/hound mix that sheds in clumps. There's a product called Furminator that has gotten good reviews. 3Step Three Click to enlargeBathe the dog regularly. This also helps with shedding. Once every few weeks should be helpful. There are shedding specific shampoos out there to try as well. 4Step Four Click to enlargeCheck out the new products out there for fur clean up. One such product would be Sticky Sheets. Another product is anti-shedding wipes. There is one made called Simple Solution® Shed Guardâ„¢ Anti-Shedding Wipes that can be found at PetSmart. 5Step Five Click to enlargeThere are some pet foods that claim to help control shedding. You may want to go to your local pet product retailer and check it out. Proper nutrition is key in reducing health-related hair loss. If you pet is shedding uncontrollably and excessively during off-season you should contact your vet. There may be deeper health issues. 6Step Six Click to enlargeEveryone knows that animals and children alike need boundaries. Use those baby gates to make dog-specific areas of the house. Even though your dog may be used to having the run of the house, having part of the house is better than being banished to the outdoors. Gate the dog into a section of the house where the family spends a lot of time. I have my dogs gated off to two rooms that I spend a lot of time in--my kitchen and den. This is particularly helpful in households that have a person with allergies. Doctors often recommend having a dog-free zone, such as the bedroom. Set up a “bedroom” for your dog in your dog-designated area. Include his or her bed, food and water dish and favorite toys. My dogs even have their own television!

• really there is nothing you can do i have a dog and we find hair every where its just what you have to put up with when you become a dog owner.it you really want to limit the hair i thnk this might helphttp://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyID=11602

• I am a bit concerned that you are getting the 'fanatic' cleaning feeling. I get that time to time. But I think you should 'chill out' a bit and not be paranoid about his/her cleaning. Imagine not having your little pet with you for 2 days. Would you miss her/him? If you realise you won't, then may be you better do without him. Or else, just hoover whenever you can, and enjoy also the dirt, I just have a cat and felt same as you, but now I have learnt to imagine my cat as my own baby, and don't want to feel all those deaseses of cats or hair everhwere... or else i will loose my mind...!