Would you board your dog or use a pet sitter that keeps your dog in her home?

I worked at kennel last year and felt so bad for the dogs! Many were stressed, nervous and many had diarrhea. Kennel workers often shouted at them to stop barking. Some dogs were terrorized of walking by other dogs for potty breaks cause the other dogs…

I worked at kennel last year and felt so bad for the dogs! Many were stressed, nervous and many had diarrhea. Kennel workers often shouted at them to stop barking. Some dogs were terrorized of walking by other dogs for potty breaks cause the other dogs…...
    General Dog Discussions : Would you board your dog or use a pet sitter that keeps your dog in her home?...

• Would you board your dog or use a pet sitter that keeps your dog in her home?

Would you board your dog or use a pet sitter that keeps your dog in her home? General Dog Discussions
      I worked at kennel last year and felt so bad for the dogs! Many were stressed, nervous and many had diarrhea. Kennel workers often shouted at them to stop barking. Some dogs were terrorized of walking by other dogs for potty breaks cause the other dogs were barking at them like crazy. I have seen dogs literally shiver. I have now found a pet sitter and bring my dog to her and my dog is very comfortable there.

Would you board your dog or use a pet sitter that keeps your dog in her home? General Dog Discussions
    • i would have to say yes as i work as a dog sitter and take dogs into my home ... kennels are stressful, my living room sofa is not :O) some of the dogs i look after when their owners need to go away include two pugs for almost ten years now, two small mixed breed dogs for over six years, a portuguese water dog for four years, and all of those dogs LOVE to come to my house and stay for a visit :O) http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo349/hoolagal/pugschinsandterror.jpg - kennel or this ???

• I wouldn't dream of leaving my dogs in someone's home. I'd spend my whole vacation worrying that my dogs had gotten away from her (they're escape artists). My dogs never appear traumatized or had diarrhea from a stay at the boarding kennel, but then, years ago I took the time to do research and visit several kennels until I found the one I felt confident about.

• I'm sorry, but you must not have worked at a very nice kennel. I'm currently a groomer at a kennel and day care facility and i can tell you that i've NEVER seen the things you described. Ever. While not all the dogs are thrilled to be there it's very rare to get a dog that's a shaking, nervous, puking, so-nervous-i-got-the-runs MESS. So no, i wouldn't pay someone to take my dog into their house (or to come into mine) when i can get discounted boarding at a place i trust. A place where i know my dog will get supervised play time with her day care buddies and with the employees several times throughout the day.Our kennels are unique, though. We have around 30 of them and each has it's own "doggy door" that leads to an outside run. The outside run opens into a play yard. So nervous dogs can go right outside without passing the other dogs. Each dog gets let out to potty 7-10 times a day and gets 2-3 play yard visits (sometimes with other dogs if they're good with each other.) Employees never yell because we all understand that dogs bark and a kennel will be loud. And diarrhea? Sure, it happens - but we're quick to note it and quick to treat it as needed (including calling the owner for instructions.)So, like i said, you must not have worked at a very nice kennel. You cannot judge them all the same.