when to get my male puppy neutered?

i want to get my airedale terrier neutered he is 6 months old 60 pounds now. when should i get it done? i want him to fully mature with male traits i am worried that if i get it done now he may not reach his full male features. some people have told me…

i want to get my airedale terrier neutered he is 6 months old 60 pounds now. when should i get it done? i want him to fully mature with male traits i am worried that if i get it done now he may not reach his full male features. some people have told me…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : when to get my male puppy neutered?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• when to get my male puppy neutered?

when to get my male puppy neutered? Dog Breed Discussions
      i want to get my airedale terrier neutered he is 6 months old 60 pounds now. when should i get it done? i want him to fully mature with male traits i am worried that if i get it done now he may not reach his full male features. some people have told me that it is better to get it done early because it makes the male traits more visible others say wait till he is a year or older to get the best Male traits. i Just want him to look good and not like a puppy or like a female forever.

when to get my male puppy neutered? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It is not going to change his looks or what his genetics have determined his size, shape to be. If he is expected to be in the 80lb range wait till he is 18 months to reduce the risk of bone cancer. If he is going to stay under that you can do him now.

• I prefer to see them about a year old before considering it. The only time I would have them done earlier would be if they were showing undesirable traits in their personality that I think neutering might help. So I say about 12 months plus.

• if ur get it done before there 7 months old he wont lift his leg to pee and wont mark his territory by stopping 30 times on a walk and peeing on everything and he wont try to hump things or dogs after it done. But if u wait and get it done after he's 7 months he will know about humping and will start to lift his leg to pee and mark his territory on his walks. but dont leave it longer then a year or else he will start to get aggressive cuz he will become sexually suppressed. But it has nothing to do with his looks.

• Lately, this is quite a controversial topic. I will just try to give you facts without opinion...Some say to wait until the dog is fully mature (usually around 18months to 2 years old), especially in the giant breeds. They claim the dog will be able to completely full out and reach his growing potential. Some of them also say that neutering too early will cause him to get bone cancer...though I don't know how likely that is or how much testing has been done to confirm it.Other people say to neuter the dog rather early, by about 6 months. They claim that ridding the dog of his testicles does not stunt the growth. They say that it is very helpful temperament wise...preventing the dog from developing male dominance issues, territorial issues, and other things. Most shelters will neuter puppies as early as possible.I think you should talk to your vet...maybe even get a 2nd or 3rd or however many opinions you want to get. Find a vet that you trust and preaches things that make sense in your own mind. Don't be pressured into neutering without doing your own research. Also, talk to your breeder. Do you have a contract for you pet quality pup...it will usually state that the dog must be neutered by ____ age. When do they suggest have the pup neutered? If it is a puppymill pup from a backyard breeder or petstore...that's your own problem.

• Wait until he is at least a year old. Airedales are large dogs and castrating large dogs before they are mature DOES affect their skeletal development. Have him castrated early and he will grow taller he otherwise would because his growth plates will close later but he will never develop the bulk and muscle of an uncastrated male. Dogs castrated before maturity are more likely to be affected by hip dysplasia and other bone conditions. It may also affect his coat quality and will certainly alter his behaviour. Have him castrated before he has learned to lift his leg & he never will.Why do you want to have him neutered? Is he allowed to wander? Do you have unspayed b1tches? Does he have undesirable behaviour traits?

• Its best to wait until he is fully mature to get the best of the male traits .I personally am not a fan of castrating dogs for no particular reason.Responsible ownership is the better route to take.I never castrate my dogs and never have any problems with them.But then i am in the uk and I do find that this practise seems to be more well established in the u.s. for some reason.Spaying of females is a different matter entirely.This is just my opinion and after 45 years of owning entire males I stick by it.Just look at the difference between the look of a: Bull and a Steer Ram and a Wether. Stallion and a Gelding Cockerel "" PulletThe difference in build and presence is unmistakable.Its the same with dogs if they are castrated too young.Castrated male dogs will never look as masculine as an entire male.Give your dog time to develop all the masculine traits before depriving him of his balls.This is my opinion and I stand by it.

• For a large breed dog it's best to wait until 9-12 months to let the dog finish the majority of his growth. For giant breeds, it's best to wait a little longer. Dogs who don't fill out are either tall and weedy due to genetics or to juvenile (before 4 months)spay/neuter. As long as you are 100% able to control any unwanted behavior and/or unwanted breeding, I would wait. There are several health reasons to neuter a dog. Testicular/prostate cancer would be #1.